First time selling things on eBay - already being scammed

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
So I finally decided to get around to trying to sell a few bits on eBay.
And even managed to sell something properly:
Silver Coolermaster Alloy Front Bezel *NEW*

As well as selling something not quite so well, here is an email I recived this morning:

From: Paypalservice @Paypal.co.uk [mailto:notification.line@mail.com]
Sent: 24 April 2007 05:05

Subject: PAYPAL PAYMENT CONFIRMATION EMAIL(PayPal® P in:#7388438481 24 38765190)

Dear Patrick,
You have been sent a PayPal® payment of 220. GBP for an ebay item #330112691390.From one of our Member, "ewela004 (ewela004@yahoo.co.uk) for a recent item purchased from you.

Money Request Details
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buyer's Payment Information:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Payment Type Mastercard
Name on Card Ewela Lawal
Card Number 5491*******67212
Expiry Date mm/yy 09/08
Card Holder Address ***************

Shipping Information:
Shipping Method : ROYALMAIL SPECIAL DELIVERY.

BUYERS SHIPPING ADDRESS
KOLAWOLE OLATOBERU
BLOCK 107 FLAT 5
IJAIYE LOW COST HOUSING
ESTATE AGEGE PENCINEMA
LAGOS
NIGERIA

Payment to:"theelectronicpunk"
Item Amount: £170.00GBP
Postage & Packing: £50.00 GBP
Postal Insurance: £00.00 GBP
Total Amount: £220.00 GBP
Item Title : Nokia 8800 Silver + Extra Stand *USED* (330112691390)

Money paid Details:
Payment from: "ewela004 (ewela004@yahoo.co.uk)
Item Amount: £170.00GBP
Postage & Packing: £50.00 GBP
Postal Insurance: £00.00 GBP
Total Amount: £220.00 GBP
Item Title : Nokia 8800 Silver + Extra Stand *USED* (330112691390)

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment tracking number is sent to our customer's service for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.
1: Make sure you receive the PayPal® Payment confirmation before any shipment.
2 : Make sure the approved mail contains the total amount for the item bought.
3 : Make sure you ship the item to the address the buyers given address above, immediately you receive the approved confirmation.
4 : Make sure the shipment tracking number is sent to our customer's service for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Make sure the shipment tracking number is sent to us ONLY through: (customer.line@post.com)
5: Make sure the shipment tracking number is mailed to us ONLY and not the buyer.
We thank you for your prompt attention. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.
You can contact our customer service care at: (customer.line@post.com)
Thanks for using PayPal®. We look forward in serving your online payment.
Sincerely.

About SSL Certificates
Copyright © 1999-2007 PayPal. All rights reserved.
Information about FDIC pass-through insurance

Now to be clear, I blatently know its a scam, but I want to know my best course of action both to get this item relisted (free?), prevent this happening again and also make this Nigerian guy feel a little bit silly.

Last edited:
Send him an empty box. Or better yet a lump of coal, in a box. :p

Just report it to PayPal and eBay. Let them handle it. And request to have it relisted for free. But were there any other bidders on this item? Or was it a "Buy It Now" thing? If there were other bidders then can't you sell it to the second highest bidder?

Had both on it, only put em up last night so no big deal.

Send him a house brick wrapped in Christmas paper.

As for stopping it from happening again, aside from slapping "NO NIGERIANS" on the auction, there's not a lot that can be done, I don't think.

Don't think I will send him a brick, or contact Paypal... will obviouly contact ebay tho.

Dunno about no Nigerians, but think I will be clear that its Paypal only and not some halfway house.

Dunno about no Nigerians, but think I will be clear that its Paypal only and not some halfway house.

I got cash...

Money_of_Nigeria.jpg

:rolleyes:

Was going to sarcastically say wow they used the first letter of their alphabet for their currency, but then it occured to me that we nearly do the same.

£ E

EP, as Dave pointed out you can prevent which countries are allowed to bid on your auctions. But, if they have an eBay account with a location of US set they can still pay for it with an account in Canada (weird).

Well he has a UK Yahoo account. Anyway, another email!

APPROVED NOTICE

Dear Patrick Husband,
PayPal has approved the sum of 220.00 GBP for an ebay item Nokia 8800 Silver + Extra Stand *USED* (330112691390)

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD
NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent people.

MR K.S. GREEN
Information about FDIC pass-through insurance

Thank you for using paypal . We look forward serving your online auction payment needs in the future.
Sincerely

Woo its approved... again? But I checked and the cash still is not in my account and I am not even going to get close to sending my lovely ex-phone until that happens.

Yeah, so I am gonna go cancel the sale!

Pound Sterling is not English though, it's British, which begins with B. Or a U from UK at a push. Definitely not an E :)

So that means you're free poke fun at their currency!

Auction is now relisted!
Bid away *cough*

I'm afraid I cannot send you this item as I don't believe you are a geniune buyer and to a lesser extent not worthy of owning this awesome phone.

I have received two fake Paypal emails coming from different email addresses on behalf of different people. Sales are to be via Paypal only not some third party holding company that keeps trying to pretend to be Paypal and then sourcing its images from different websites and leading to false links.

Sorry and I wish you better luck in attempting to steal other peoples possessions in the future.

Please do not contact me again or bid on any of my auctions.

Sorry and I wish you better luck in attempting to steal other peoples possessions in the future.

heh... nice line

and to a lesser extent not worthy of owning this awesome phone.
Hah! Nice. :D

But...
Patrick Husband?

Patrick...? :speechless:

506_small.jpg

hey leave EP alone before someone posts that picture of him in drag. HJow will any nigerian ever take him seriously if they see hinm like that?

Thats my name :p

Relisted the item and someone in London just won the auction, waiting to see if they can do the Paypal thing.

£170 + £10 shipping, bargain really. Lets hope the winner isn't a muppet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back