first gf FX ultra 5800 REVIEW

Sazar

Rest In Peace
please don't laugh :)

this is a german site that has posted scores based on its own tests... reason I have not posted this as front page news is I am waiting for more tests to corroborate the performance of this piece of hardware...

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/1109/

thats the link to a german website... follow the link (says weiter for next for those not conversed in german :) ) and you will see some rather interesting numbers..

also like I said... please don't laugh... at least the gf FX fan in yellow looks decent :)

[edit] adding reviews as I find them... am sure that waddy and EP will find some pro nvidia benchies to post on the main page :) [/edit]

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,846380,00.asp

Originally posted by Sazar
please don't laugh :)

this is a german site that has posted scores based on its own tests... reason I have not posted this as front page news is I am waiting for more tests to corroborate the performance of this piece of hardware...

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/1109/

thats the link to a german website... follow the link (says weiter for next for those not conversed in german :) ) and you will see some rather interesting numbers..

also like I said... please don't laugh... at least the gf FX fan in yellow looks decent :)

I just wanted to apologise a little... I thought that the performance of the gf FX would be a lot better than I am seeing...

it does appear that the 128bit memory DID handicap the card (16gb/s bandwidth v/s ~19 gb/s for the 9700pro)

also from what I am reading around the web... the IQ on the gf FX with various degrees of AA and FSAA is not comparable to the 9700pro...

call me a big ati fan or whatever :) but I do feel somewhat vindicated about chiming out concerning the raw power of the r300 based cards...

please do note that the tests are run on that website with various degrees of AA and FSAA which people who have fast systems and 9700/9700pro's DO run on...

different combo's of the 2 @ res's upto 1280x1024 give fantastic IQ in games and the frame rate hit is marginal compared to the r200 and gf4 TI frame rate hit for similar things...

the speed of the gf FX will give it a lead in games without the eye candy maxed @ high res with AA and FSAA... but anyone who owns a decent system and wants to play their games with max IQ :) that is what is used...

seems I am the only one up @ the mo who cares about this :)

for the video card afficianado's... please pay special attention to the Multi-Texture with FSAA & AF scores :)

this is where everyone (except die hard fans) said the gf FX would suffer... and believe me.. it DOES :) BIG time..

architecturally... like I have been saying for a long long time... this card is very poorly designed... or should I say revised?

Told you that u knew everything :p haha my friend pre ordered a FX and b4 he did I was trying to tell him that the 9700 was sposed to be the same gen as the FX but it was just delayed. but now it seems that ATI is in deep doo doo so its a good thing he bought his FX rather then running the risk of buying something from a company that might not be there in a few months.

Originally posted by Krux
Told you that u knew everything :p haha my friend pre ordered a FX and b4 he did I was trying to tell him that the 9700 was sposed to be the same gen as the FX but it was just delayed. but now it seems that ATI is in deep doo doo so its a good thing he bought his FX rather then running the risk of buying something from a company that might not be there in a few months.

??

lol if yer talking about the insider trading probs well ati's business model is slightly different than some other companies and you are forgetting that nvidia also had the same insider trading allegations v/s their staff around the same time as ATi... just the charges were leveled recently for ATi :)

btw if you read the links and my posts... you will see that I am not happy with the performance of the gf FX... quite the contrary :)

hey if ppl want to pay an extra 100 bucks for 10fps let them more money into the econ. :)

ohh and why isn't the email notification working anymore? I haven't gotten emails for any treads ive posted in all weekend.:eek:

more reviews are coming out :)

seems some are a bit fishy in terms of their choice of words (if a fraction of a frame means DOMINATION in a test with both netting over 100fps... so be it :) )

tomorrow should be interesting...

oooh... btw... fans of intel p4 northwoods will just LUV this new card :)

An interesting phenomenon we discovered while attempting to overclock the GeForce FX was that when the card got too hot (courtesy of our overclock), it automatically throttled itself down to its 2D speed (300/600MHz) and reduced the fan speed accordingly in the middle of a game. We're not exactly big fans of this method of protection, since it would make more sense to reduce the clock speed to its 3D default setting and not the significantly slower 2D clocks.

just read the tomshardware.com review, and they were kinda close. from what i was hearing from nvidia fans/pr deparatments was that this was going to score 20k is 3dmark 2001 etc. where is the performance? if ATI comes out with its r350 (400MHz core) by march, nvidia will be creamed, especially if it is $100 less then its top of the line card and out performs it.

- i love the graphics market.
[edit]- this makes me all the more happy that i did not wait for the FX

just wanted to point out... i count 13 ":)"'s total from sazar on this thread. take some downers, man! :D

and why did you quote yourself in your second post? :p

that's all. good job keepin on top of these reviews.
icon14.gif

Originally posted by taurus
just wanted to point out... i count 13 ":)"'s total from sazar on this thread. take some downers, man! :D

and why did you quote yourself in your second post? :p

that's all. good job keepin on top of these reviews.
icon14.gif

was in shock :)

what else can I say :)

Re: Re: first gf FX ultra 5800 REVIEW

call me a big ati fan or whatever :) but I do feel somewhat vindicated about chiming out concerning the raw power of the r300 based cards...

I feel 100% better I bought a 9700 pro last week. :happy:

Like Nvidia took the crown from 3dfx; ATI is taking it from Nvidia.

The graphic card market is the most innovative and entertaining market to watch. It pays to do research.

Re: Re: Re: first gf FX ultra 5800 REVIEW

Originally posted by Pragmatist
I feel 100% better I bought a 9700 pro last week. :happy:

Like Nvidia took the crown from 3dfx; ATI is taking it from Nvidia.

The graphic card market is the most innovative and entertaining market to watch. It pays to do research.

nvidia bought 3dfx :) so more like BOUGHT the crown from them... lol...

what this DOES mean is that the nv35 should be a better/more balanced product than this over-hyped paper-force....

and no I am not going to mince words after repeatedly hearing time and again that the gf FX is this and that and would be the 2nd coming of [insert entity here]...

like I have said throughout my thread even my extremely conservative guesstimates (and I am by no means an expert) were shalacked by the lacklustre performance of this product...

PERHAPS now more people will see the reason I detest nvidia's PR ?

this card would have been a fine product on its own but nvidia just kept hyping it and hyping it and hyping it... even sites that they have a big ad presence in are really fishing to find something positive (such as this 1 fps advantage in a game netting 300fps points to a CLEAR victory for the gf FX and btw we could not run any bandwidth intensive tests because the card could not handle it)

how objective is that?

/me goes into gloat mode...

I think it sucks that nvidia bought 3dfx. buying up the compitition is extreamly anti-consumer. IMO its when nvidia started their slow slippery slope to mediocracy.

im reading that a number of people are canceling their pre-orders of Geforce FXs and I have a feeling ATI will dominate this year unless Nvidia pulls a miracle driver update soon.

Originally posted by Pragmatist
I think it sucks that nvidia bought 3dfx. buying up the compitition is extreamly anti-consumer. IMO its when nvidia started their slow slippery slope to mediocracy.

im reading that a number of people are canceling their pre-orders of Geforce FXs and I have a feeling ATI will dominate this year unless Nvidia pulls a miracle driver update soon.

driver updates will only solve part of the problem.. there is NO WAY to get around such an unbalanced card...

I cant believe I bought some of the bs coming from nvidia's pr HQ...

their compression techniques and what not were supposed to make up for the lesser bandwidth/memory BUT this is not the case...

it is blatantly obvious looking @ hardocp and anandtech that the iq on the gf FX is lower than the 9700pro... lower IQ = higher fps basically... but even then the 9700pro pulls ahead...

this is where architecture wins out over marketing and I think it is a good thing...

nvidia will come back strong with their next card for no other reason than the fact that they HAVE to...

people are too quick to say new process this and that and what not... ati has been completely redoing their cards with each subsequent launch for a while and not had the problems that the gf FX had... and look @ the drivers for the gf FX... pure POS drivers... :)

j/k... but the drivers are truly appaling...

anyhoo concerning 3dfx... nvidia had ripped some techs and was being sued by 3dfx for copyright infringement et al... so they bought the company and consequently the law suits :)

pure and simple...

lol, I should have known Sazar would start this thread. :)

Anyway, it's too bad nVidia did so poorly on this release with all the hype. Kinda hurts their credibility to say one thing and then tests prove otherwise. Man, what a letdown.

I bought my GF4 about 6 months ago, so I won't be getting a new card right away now, at least until ATI releases their next cream of the crop. If the FX would've done better, I may have considered it though.

Quote from toms hardware "And it has a look that is similarly spectacular to the 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 at the time of its launch"

And we all know what happened to the card....and then to the company.

I for one will NOT buy this silly hot loud ugly monster as i own a quiet SFF pc (also it will not go in the case !) & (i own a ti4200 at the moment) it seems ATI has a new customer heading its way;)

another review here

Ooops edited links as most are on front page...sorry.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
lol, I should have known Sazar would start this thread. :)

Anyway, it's too bad nVidia did so poorly on this release with all the hype. Kinda hurts their credibility to say one thing and then tests prove otherwise. Man, what a letdown.

I bought my GF4 about 6 months ago, so I won't be getting a new card right away now, at least until ATI releases their next cream of the crop. If the FX would've done better, I may have considered it though.

I have been saying for a while what I thought this card would do based on the technical specs... not the paper specs... and have often been told its ati fanboy talk...

it feels good to be vindicated :) at least it shows me that perhaps I do know a little bit about what I talk about...

it does not mean I am right all the time... but perhaps my educated guesses are not just hot air ?

btw bony... all the reviews you have listed I have posted as news on the front page other than the hexus review... that was full of almost as much crud as the THG review...

no IQ comparison and they say that the gf FX has better IQ than the 9700pro ? even with images from anandtech and hardocp ?

as more reviews and info comes out we will get more balanced reviews but for now I think the anandtech review sets the benchmark...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back