Firewalls...

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
How good is the XP built in firewall. IE, should I get another one, and which one should I get? Also, what about using the firewall that's included with a router?

XP FIREWALL=EXCELLANT AT KEEPING BUGGERS OUT, but does not keep buggers in

hehe

what I mean is for most purposes, xp firewall is perfect, use it with adaware, and you're fine

just givin ya sheeeeeeeeeet. Thanks though. So many varying opinions out there

I knew that

believe me dreamliner77, the experts agree, the xp firewall is excellant.

You should try Zone Labs Zone Alarm firewall progam. It is an excellent firewall and it's free (personal editon) or Zone Alarm Pro (I think it's like $50.00 u.s.) It's at www.zonelabs.com XP's firewall is O.K. But is not a true complete firewall or even semi-complete.

za PRO is a poorly written code, and the free is smoother, it's very good, but as I said, xp's firewall is excellant at keeping those buggers out

well, apparently it's keeping too much stuff out now. I swear I didn't do anything but now some weird things are happening...

Btw, I love your avatar!!!

Xp's Firewall is good at keeping most stuff out..but it's hard to configure stuff that doesn't use basic ports and it does not block outgoing traffic at all so trojan horses can still effect you if you happen to get one.

ZA Pro 3.0 is better written. It's also highly configurable and if you think XP's firewall is soooo good, go to Gibson Research Corp. and see how good it really is. http://grc.com/default.htm They've got a nice way of testing whatever flavor of firewall you got.

I go with the XP firewall...I hate configuring stuff. ZA continuously bothers me about my apps using the internet because the app always gets patched and it says a bunch of stuff about the app being modified and if I would like to allow internet access or not.

Originally posted by gonaads
ZA Pro 3.0 is better written. It's also highly configurable and if you think XP's firewall is soooo good, go to Gibson Research Corp. and see how good it really is. http://grc.com/default.htm They've got a nice way of testing whatever flavor of firewall you got.

Gibson research is a sham...Steve Gibson is an idiot, has no credentials that qualify him to judge ANYTHING and his port scan (it scans 10 ports out of 65536. 131072 if you count udp..anyone see how a 10 port scan is well...highly ineffective)is an absolute joke..you want a real firewall tests, try symantec's or DSL reports

try this site for info on steve gibson and all his lies

www.grcsucks.com

Sorry for the flame but I hate it when so called "experts" make up complete lies to gain some credibility and it boggles my mind that people would listen to the filth he spouts...he dosn't even know how a harddrive..his spinrite programs makes the most absurd claims you'll ever hear

ok done flaming gibson heh :p I mean if it was just my opinion that he was a lying rat...fine...but it's not an opinion it is fact..he gets shot down in his own newsgroup on a daily basis heh

As it should. So if one of your apps get infected (worm, trojan, etc...) and it has permission to access the internet, XP firewall will let it connect because it doesn't see that it has been altered. And then what?

Hey, use whatever thrills you to test your firewall proggy and let the chips fall where they may. Then you can say what you want. But then again, it's preference mostly. And an opinion is an opinion, one of many. Everyboy has an opinion just like you and me. To each his/her own.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back