firewalls

R

renakuajo

what u recommend?

Tiny Personal Firewall 3.0 or Sygate Personal Firewall??

i have zone alrm pro but is giving me problem to use my network

Sygate Pro is best - I have tried most of the rest. Don't rely on default settings though.

i have though of xp built in but the netwoprk that i have the other pc is a w98, and lots of people says that xo is not so good

XP's built in firewall should be okay for basic personal use. It lacks advanced features (which you may not even need) and does not block outgoing packets (such as trojan activity).

If you're really paranoid about someone hacking you, a hardware router with a built-in firewall/packet filter is your best bet.

I have a LAN at home, so the router serves both purposes for me.

u are right netryder and i was thinkin of that for my xp machine but what about for win98????

Does the 98 machine have direct access to the internet or is the XP box an ICS host?

If the 98 box connects to the net thru the XP one, you only need to enable the firewall on the XP one, and your 98 box will be protected as well.

the win98 machine has direct access to the internet

i got this question:

my modem dsl is a zyxel 642me. the modem is the one that get the internet etc my ip never gets reveal, do i need the firewall???

i'm kind of confused, cause if i got to grc.com and run some of the tests like shields up, it shows an ip adress that is not mine, but it shows what i'm sharing, but if i run the ip agent then it shows my real ip and says that my pc is safe!! i'm confused

are you on a lan, if you are on the lan then sometimes the ip agent picks up the lan ip. The one that GRC finds should be the right one though.

XP's firewall works fine, works too good for it's own good too! :p But overall it's ok, I"m satisfied with it.

you don't need a firewall, just disable netbios and printer/file sharing, there's nothing that can happan.

i used to have that but now i got a network and need netbios and file&printing sharing

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back