Firewall

J

JUP

i am using zone arlarm and i was wondering if there were any other good free firewalls out there that i can use insted??

I've only managed to find Agnitum OUTPOST which is very good, although you may not find it very user friendly, but it is quite customisable.

The only one thing that the free version doesnt do is block specific ip addresses though there are ways around that.

Originally posted by WAM
I've only managed to find Agnitum OUTPOST which is very good, although you may not find it very user friendly, but it is quite customisable.

The only one thing that the free version doesnt do is block specific ip addresses though there are ways around that.

I would disagree with that im affriad.

OutPost does not cut it now, the way they are managing devlopment of new versions is causing huge problems.

No updates to fix serious knowen issues are been released, it is famous for BSODs under XP, the filtering and ad blocking causes alot of problems with system reboots or broswer hangs.

Version 2 will be great but i urge you to hold off until then. It is a great product but version 1 is not getting support or attention that it needs.

If you look in the OP community you will see how users feel right now.

http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/

in particular this thread:

http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6264

Now, i recommend going for Kerio, not without its problems also but at least in its current version its stable, small and easy on resources, its a firewall simple as that, you dont get web filtering or ad blocking or all the other addons they stick in firewalls now a days :)

Another popular choice seems to be Look and Stop but i have never used that product.

Originally posted by Enyo
I would disagree with that im affriad.

OutPost does not cut it now, the way they are managing devlopment of new versions is causing huge problems.

No updates to fix serious knowen issues are been released, it is famous for BSODs under XP, the filtering and ad blocking causes alot of problems with system reboots or broswer hangs.

Version 2 will be great but i urge you to hold off until then. It is a great product but version 1 is not getting support or attention that it needs.

If you look in the OP community you will see how users feel right now.

http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/

in particular this thread:

http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6264

Now, i recommend going for Kerio, not without its problems also but at least in its current version its stable, small and easy on resources, its a firewall simple as that, you dont get web filtering or ad blocking or all the other addons they stick in firewalls now a days :)

Another popular choice seems to be Look and Stop but i have never used that product.

I have to say that i havent experienced these problems with outpost.........

Originally posted by WAM
I have to say that i havent experienced these problems with outpost.........

WAM, I did not say everyone did because of course everyone wont.

I posted the OP forum link so that JUP could check out what current issues there are.

XP BSOD's are mainly caused by ad blocking and site filter, if they are not active it is not a issue for most users.

Filtnt.sys is the popular BSOD referance.

I myself did not suffer the BSOD but did see intermetent freezing caused by OP, reproduceable and tracking using the degug module.

Anyway version 2 is around the "corner" i belive ts in private beta now i wont guess on how long it will be just read the thread above for the feeling on that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back