Firewall test

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Which is a good site that performs a free security scan on your computer?

I know about Symantec's Security Check ... but I just wanted a second opinion, just in case.

Jewelzz, I use PCPitstop quite a bit, but I've never found a firewall test on the site :confused:

Gibson Research Corporation. Steve Gibson has various on-line firewall tests. Specifically, Shields Up and IP Agent. (Your ports can be "Nano Probed" with Shields Up). For a more in-depth security check, go the Security Space.com.

Ok, found one on Sygate's site, and another on DSLReports
Cool! :D

Originally posted by XPMagic
Jewelzz, I use PCPitstop quite a bit, but I've never found a firewall test on the site :confused:
My bad, I read your 1st post wrong :rolleyes:

Originally posted by XPMagic

hah, posted it while I was typing my reply...

Ok, gr8!
Tried all of the above scans and I'm perfectly secure behind my router ...

*Hugs router* :p

Thanks people! :)

Steve Gibson is full of himself. I would advise not to do anything but laugh at shields up and the rest of his gibson research site. check out www.grcsucks.com

...a little more...

this from grcsucks.com:

* The statements 'is now secure', 'is very secure', 'is highly secure' and 'is insecure' on the pages are misleading and wrong. They mislead trusting users into believing everything is a-OK with their system while it's not.

* The techniques and technologies used to do the scan are misrepresented. Where grc uses some common approaches, Steve hypes them into something special, better, more powerful. He does this by renaming things (he calls ICMP and SYN probes nanoprobes, for example, or calls the Net BIOS back end a Hidden Internet Server) or by misrepresenting facts, such as claiming to scan for ports to be "Stealth" where all he can detect is if there is a response and if it's a DROP, DENY or ACCEPT.

* Several scans of the same system failed to yield the same results. That is not even theoretical acceptable. Scans of common ports were completed but the result was displayed wrong, so did the program tell me, my Port 80 (HTTP) was closed or even "stealth", when - in fact - I had a web server running there. It also told me my Net BIOS port was closed or "stealth", when - in fact - I had open shares exposing my whole system to the 'net.

LOL :D :D

Anyway, as I said, I used several other sites as well ... all of them came up with results similar to each other.

So if GRC sucks, so be it :p
Thanks for the heads up Powerchord!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back