Firewall Penetrated?

B

Bretenn

hmm... after goin through LeadTest, it say my firewall are penetrated. I'm using Linksys Etherfast Firewall router... do i need to change any setting to the router?

Originally posted by Bretenn
hmm... after goin through LeadTest, it say my firewall are penetrated. I'm using Linksys Etherfast Firewall router... do i need to change any setting to the router?

Nope you are allowing traffic on 80 i would guess which is what leaktest uses and you would not really want to block this :)

LeakTest is made for testing software firewalls not hardware devices.

Your fine :)

Do you use a software firewall to?

"Penetrated" is a bit vague to say the least. I hope LeakTest provided some more details?

nop... i din use software firewall...!!
thanks for reply :)

Its very concervative with helpful info but is old and quite useless now anyway.

It refers you to http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

Its only a basic test, something like Robin Keirs firehole is nice s it uses DLL injection to show you even your software firewall is pants, coupled with NetCat is nice as you can change the port away from 80 and for incorrectly configured rule based firewalls you get to see just how big a issue it is.

A trojan i wont name came out a few weeks ago which uses DLL injection really well :huh:

Anyway your making me ramble :p

You may want to consider it, i know having the hardware in place is great but you have limted control over the apps that get out to the internet with that kind of device.

You need to use a software firewall with a router to keep things from getting out - I am using ZAP with mine only because it is integrated with linksys ..

but my Linksys is a firewall router...
hmm... do i still need the software...??

Originally posted by lechtard
You need to use a software firewall with a router to keep things from getting out - I am using ZAP with mine only because it is integrated with linksys ..
Is it also integratable with the Linksys VPN routers? I saw a firmware screenshot that shows the integration, but when I downloaded the newest firmware for my router it doesn't have the options. Could you shed some more light on this, please?

The firewall router is only to keep things from coming in - I have found in port probes that it does'nt keep everything out, this could be because I have DMZ enabled ...

But as for things getting out of your system you will still need a software firewall .. You will find in the security settings of your router ZAP and Pc-Cillan ... ZAP you will need to put the key in for it to work ... then you just install it onto your system and run it as a normal firewall ..

make sure you have the latest firmware also ... it does work with VPN routers, that is what mine is ..

The firewall router is only to keep things from coming in - I have found in port probes that it does'nt keep everything out, this could be because I have DMZ enabled ...

A router should keep out those incoming packets ... disable DMZ and you should be fine.

Originally posted by NetRyder
A router should keep out those incoming packets ... disable DMZ and you should be fine.

Yeah I was thinking that .. I have it enabled though for the online gaming and file sharing with my Chat clients ....

Yeah, I need to enable DMZ when I use Messenger for video conversations. Other than that, it's always disabled.

I have DMZ enabled all the time, but only to one PC, but then I havent done Voice or Video chats to home as parents dont have XP yet

But as for things getting out of your system you will still need a software firewall .. You will find in the security settings of your router ZAP and Pc-Cillan ... ZAP you will need to put the key in for it to work ... then you just install it onto your system and run it as a normal firewall ..

make sure you have the latest firmware also ... it does work with VPN routers, that is what mine is ..
I have the latest, but don't have that option. :huh:
Latest Firmware

Here are the pics with my router ..

Not having it in your router though should'nt really matter - Youcan still use a software firewall ... it will do the same thing ..

- A firewall router can block both incomming and outgoing traffic on a network level.
- A (local) software firewall is needed to block traffic on an application level (app by app).

I get by with a firewall router (to block for instance Windows shares) and a well updated Anti-Virus software. With good AV, anti-spyware and common sense you won't need the extra firewall. IMHO.

what linksys router do you have ??
BEFVP41
Not having it in your router though should'nt really matter - Youcan still use a software firewall ... it will do the same thing ..
I know that. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back