Firewall for Simple Plain Usage?

S

skamaraju

Hi,
I work with a simple Home PC loaded with XP Home. I connect to net using a LAN connection or a Dial-up. There is nothing important on the system that might be stolen. I use XP connection firewall and Norton System Works 2002. Do I need a firewall protection like Zonealarm for my usage.
Sushil:eek:

It is always a good idea to have a personal firewall. I recommend Norton Internet Security 2002, it will intergrate with Norton SystemWorks. Personally, I use it and have had no problems whatsoever, nor have I had any attempted hacks.

no, you do not need an after market firewall, just enable the xp wall, which is rated excellant at keeping hackers out, personally, while I'm on dialup, I don't even enable that, but you will not get better protection from hacks then the internal wall, the only thing that firewall doesn't do is keep programs form getting out, just run ad aware, and you should be just fine

Hi
May I know what is ad ware? I am not good at computers. I am a Medical Doctor by Profession, a Radiologist.
Sushil:confused:

Depends of what kind of activity you have on internet . If you're a fan of chat's and instant messagers you should use a good firewall . Yes , Norton Firewall is the one of the best but has some inconveniences : new versions of sub-seven " couldn't wake it " .

I always recommend people who hold their computer and especially their data dear, to have a Firewall running at all time.
Which one to run, well, there will be as many suggestions as there are programs; try them out and use the one you feel best suit your needs. Personally I use ZoneAlarmPro 3. Just use one.

Adware is where a program shows an Ad while running, similar to those banner ads you see online.

*MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU*

all you need to thwart hacks is the internal xp firewall, unless you also want to stop your computer from accesing the internet, that's all you need...but you should run ad aware regardless, and especially if you are using the xp firewall

Originally posted by skamaraju
Hi
May I know what is ad ware? I am not good at computers. I am a Medical Doctor by Profession, a Radiologist.
Sushil:confused:

It removes spyware! Some programs you download will install spyware on your computer without your consent and Ad-Aware is designed to get rid of it/them.

You can find it at..... http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/index.html

As regards the firewall I have used Zone Alarm for a long time without any problems. Its free and unlike the XP Firewall it intecepts unauthorised traffic in both directions. Get the latest version 2.6x for XP.

Alan.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back