Firewall and ISP - Can Anyone Believe this?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I am in the UK and have had problems with my Broadband service provider. They are NOT the cheapest and I chose them for reliability - boy did I get that one wrong (averaging weekly outages).

Anyway, to cap it off their latest "suggestion" is that my insistence on using the XP Firewall was causing problems with Broadband access. Not only are they insistent I turn it off, they refuse to recommend any alternative! Now I reckon any alternative that's worth having will be more restrictive....

So where do I go from here?

I'd quite like to assemble some facts for putting a case to them since they try to tie you into an annual contract and the only solution I can see is to change ISP....

I'll be interested to see what you guys have to say on this one.

so turn off the XP firewall and use some free one like Sygate or zonealarm. case solved

:cool:

I have Cox here in the U.S. They insist that you not use any firewall at all. They also insist that you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

I don't comply with either policy... but they have them.

OK I shall be trying later...

I will try something other than XP later.... I will post here to advise how it pans out. I was just surprised, the Broadband provider is BT, that's like the Ma Belle of the UK!

Anyway I wanted to post this because I am totally confused as to what is meant by "posting with links is a *****" - have I done something wrong? I sure did not mean to! Thankyou for the input to date - I think this is a valid issue deserving a thread - but it's up to the moderator in the end...

:rolleyes:

no you did nothing wrong as far as I can tell, that person has some issues....

:cool:

what is a "run an active IDS if you need too.. ".....????

Intrusion Detection System

is what it is.... If you look at Nulls thread his first post refers to an IDS and gives you a LINK to a whole lot of information about them at SNORT.... so rather than firewalling it is telling you what is happening and leaving action up to you (I guess!)

I know that for some troubleshooting they will ask you to disable any Firewalls and Anti Virus in order to see if one of them is the cause of your problems.

I work as a Helpdesk Tech and we ask that to our customers. We also have a test that we can do to see if there's any attenuation or lost of synch on the line. Our work is not appreciated but we work under pressure and we have to follow some rules. One of the rules is to have Firewalls and Anti Virus disabled first and then we can proceed in finding the problem.

Slow connection could come from your ISP, they may have a problem or it's on your side. We ask for any newly install software or hardware, we ask for the wiring to be verified by the customer(phone cable or Cat 5), we also have some procedure to do about a slow connection.

Mainly, a Firewall or Anti Virus could have an effect on your speed and that's why it's recommended to disabled them.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back