Firefox thinks I'm German

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
From time to time I have to use firefox and of course the google search box is very useful. Except that the search box seems to think I am german and sends me off to the results page at google.de. I've had a flick through the settings and about:config and can't find a way to force it to use google.com or preferably google.co.uk.

I don't know why it thinks I am german but some things I've checked seem to think the IP range I am in is german even though the RIPE database was updated months ago to say it was a GB range.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Yeah I can go to google manually and then enter the query but I like the convenience of the toolbar search box. Why won't firefox let me do what I want instead of being all automagical and pissing me off. Safari doesn't have this problem when my Mac is using an IP from the same range.

From what I’ve heard Google uses a special prefetching feature in Firefox now, read down too the end of the first article where it tells how to correct that.

Google Article

“Meanwhile if you want to use the standard version of Google, click on Google.com in English at the bottom of any Google homepage or type Google.com /ncr in your address bar. Google cookies will save your preference.”

As it seems sometimes this doesn’t work all the time but it’s worth a try, others are having the same problem farther down on that same page.

Thanks I'll give that a try next time I'm on the machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back