Firefox standard instead of IE

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
Hello,

I am using Vista Business with Firefox and want to set Firefox as the standard browser. So everytime I start FF I click the button to make FF the standard browser, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to stop IE7 from making itself the standard browser (I tried all the standard things in the configuration options but I think I must change a registersetting)

I think you need to run firefox elevated and tell it to be the default browser. At least that's what I remember when I used Firefox with Vista a while back (I'm back on XP)

control panel -> default programs -> set program access and computer defaults -> custom

tick firefox there

Yes, tried this too. Problem is there is no FF icon, only a IE7 one to tick...

Have you tried from the run box?

firefox.exe -silent -setDefaultBrowser

well, I assigned the extensions .htm, .html and .url to FF but I do not have the protocols http and https in the list. So, even though I have excluded IE7 in the standard programms list (make in unaccessable? - I have Dutch Vista), webpages still open in IE7...

all i did was set firefox as default and disallow access to IE and firefox always opens here

well if you untick IE it shouldn't run nor should the icon be on the desktop or quick launch tool bar

Did you try the run as method described on that page? It runs Firefox with admin privileges which will let it set itself as the default browser.

Yes I did, but it didn't help. I am going to reinstall Vista tomorrow. Think I have messed it up..

I've never had to do any of these obscure methods described above. In firefox, have you tried going to Tools > Options > Main and click on "Check Now" to see if firefox is the default browser?

I've never had to do any of these obscure methods described above. In firefox, have you tried going to Tools > Options > Main and click on "Check Now" to see if firefox is the default browser?

Yep, tried this too a couple of times and everytime FF is the standard browser. Until I close FF and start it again, then I get the question again if I want to make FF the standard browser. Funny thing is that on my XP desktop everything works fine, it's just Vista on the laptop that makes trouble...

I ran into something similar a couple of weeks ago when I uninstalled a beta build of Firefox 3 -- I couldn't set Firefox 2 as the default browser again after that. It seems like installing v2 and v3 side-by-side screws up some settings.

I just had to reinstall Firefox 2 over the existing setup, and everything was okay after that. You could try that and see if it helps.

Also, you don't need to elevate in Vista to set it as your default browser since it's a per-user setting.

I ran into something similar a couple of weeks ago when I uninstalled a beta build of Firefox 3 -- I couldn't set Firefox 2 as the default browser again after that. It seems like installing v2 and v3 side-by-side screws up some settings.

I just had to reinstall Firefox 2 over the existing setup, and everything was okay after that. You could try that and see if it helps.

Also, you don't need to elevate in Vista to set it as your default browser since it's a per-user setting.

This could be it. I had FF3beta installed also and have removed it afterwards. I will try with reinstalling FF, is a lot easier and faster than reinstalling Vista and all the other software!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back