Firefox Download Day

Hmm, having a hard time getting Adblock Plus and Fastdial installed. NoScript installed just fine, the others seem to download but don't install.

If you had AdBlock Plus installed on your previous version of FF or on FF RC3 it should work out the box. It will look for updates but if it's the current version it will be working

Although for some reason on one of the computers I D/L FF to when it did the extension update check it had an error. I think it was during the server problems Mozilla was having, so updates were crapping out. I tried it again later and it worked. Do another extension update check and see if it's doing it's thing now.

Afaik you need to get the 1.2 version of Firebug if you want to use it with FF3, the site only lists 1.0 and 1.1 but if you're clever you should be able to find it ;)

Downloaded, among the updates they've also finally learnt how to put an Applications link into the DMG for the Mac release.

Hey Mizzle, how are you liking the new toy?

Want to a quick write-up, inclusive of shots of the spanking new FF release :smoker: and have it front-paged in the review section?

I'll help with editing if needed :D

lol, why are you asking me? :D

Compared to Opera 9.27 not the 9.5. No reason to change.

Crossed 8 million downloads. They say they served 9000 downloads a minute. Talk about server overload...
If this doesn't make it into the records, I don't know what can.

I have been using the FF3.0 beta since the first beta came out, and I used Opera 9.5 for a few days. Comparing the two, Firefox to me is much more streamlined and utility based. While Opera has a lot of really cool features, and has a slick interface... there some things about it that I really don't like. For example, when typing in a URL you cant use tab to go down, you have to use the arrow keys. There might a option for this, but that alone annoys the living crap outta me. Also, the UI while good looking is hard to use. Tabs are terrible and not intuitive at all, also the bookmarks, address bar and tab area is split up in a really odd fashion making things confusing (to me atleast). Opera is known for its speed, but I noticed 9.5 actually was slower than FF3.0 for me. SpeedDial is great, having an adblock like service built in is cool (although could use a built in library). Lack of a spellchecker is annoying, I tried to install the one that the software links to, but had no luck getting it working.

Firefox 3.0, fast steamlined and simple. The entire point of the FireBIRD project was a quick and lightweight browser. I think people are losing sight of that now, FF3.0 is a realization of that goal imo. All the modern browsers have high memory usage, but I think Mozilla is finally getting Firefox's leaks undercontrol. I have no issues with 3.0, its everything I want in a browser and then some. It shows me the interwebs with speed, accuracy and style. What else could you ask for?

Aprox, you can customize many things in Opera to be similar to your setup in FF.

Keep in mind, a lot of people LIKE things in IE simply because they are used to it and therefore continue to use it instead of FF. Opera, when I first started using it, I was using FF 100% of the time at home. Now, I use Opera 100% of the time. The tabs in both have some awesome features but IE for me STILL does the best job, in my book, for new tabs.

Re: FF3, let's see how streamlined it remains once extensions return. And pertaining to speed, the more you use Opera, the faster it gets. FF, not so much.

Btw, my biggest issue with Opera is the spell-checker. It's not an end of days scenario, but it would have been a nice to have.

When I first ditched IE I downloaded both Opera and Firefox. I actually found Firefox easier to use because the Opera user interface kinda blinded me with the color, and I kinda got lost with the controls. And contrary to most of the tests people carry out, I actually had a harder time loading everything in Opera. :eek:
Firefox is actually faster than Opera and IE, and I'm still using it. I have not even experienced the memory leaks everyone is talking about. I can have 10 tabs open and have it peak at 90MB :D

Aprox, you can customize many things in Opera to be similar to your setup in FF.

Keep in mind, a lot of people LIKE things in IE simply because they are used to it and therefore continue to use it instead of FF. Opera, when I first started using it, I was using FF 100% of the time at home. Now, I use Opera 100% of the time. The tabs in both have some awesome features but IE for me STILL does the best job, in my book, for new tabs.

Re: FF3, let's see how streamlined it remains once extensions return. And pertaining to speed, the more you use Opera, the faster it gets. FF, not so much.

Btw, my biggest issue with Opera is the spell-checker. It's not an end of days scenario, but it would have been a nice to have.

No doubt Sazar, I'm not going to pretend to be an Opera expert by any means. I'm sure if I stuck with it, and learned the in's and out's of the browser I could it get to be very similar to Firefox. However, why do all that when I can just use Firefox? Opera is cool, and its a great alternative to IE and Firefox so I think it just boils down to preference.

For the record, I have been using FF3.0 (beta, RC, and now final) with Adblock, IEtab, and FaviconizeTab and have had no slowdown issues. I dont see the need for a lot of other addons, but everybody has their own needs.

i reckon those fanboys out there set up 100 machines to repeatedly download FF3 to bump up the numbers.

8.3 Million downloads is what is being listed as the total.

i reckon those fanboys out there set up 100 machines to repeatedly download FF3 to bump up the numbers.

I'm curious what Mozilla's policy is for counting multiple downloads from the same IP address. On one hand, you have schools and large businesses that would show up as one IP. On the other you have individuals that could be doing exactly what are saying.

I downloaded it twice, one for my computer and one for my sister's. In my opinion that counts as two downloads on their list, but yes, I do see that some could have been downloading large scale. Although it would be quite impossible to make a difference, considering my best download speed was 9 KB/s.

I downloaded it twice, one for my computer and one for my sister's. In my opinion that counts as two downloads on their list, but yes, I do see that some could have been downloading large scale. Although it would be quite impossible to make a difference, considering my best download speed was 9 KB/s.

Downloading more than once isn't a bad thing Mizzle, I'm sure there are lots of people who downloaded 2 - 3 copies for various computers on their home network. I'm also sure there were people who sat there all day downloading copy after copy to try to pad the numbers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back