Firefox 2.0 RC 2 now available

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 (RC 2), the latest preview release of the next version of the Firefox browser, is now available for download. Web application developers, our testing community, and users who want to get a sneak peek at the next version of Firefox should download and install this release candidate. Please note that at this time, users should not expect all of their extensions, plugins and themes from previous versions of Firefox to work properly.
The release notes have a detailed list of what’s new in Firefox 2 RC 2, including:
  • A new theme that updates Firefox’s familiar interface
  • Built in Phishing Protection
  • Enhanced search engine management and search suggestions for Google, Yahoo! and Answers.com
  • Improvements to tabbed browsing, including the ability to re-open recently closed tabs
  • Firefox will resume from where you left off after a system crash or browser restart
  • Better support for previewing and subscribing to Web feeds
  • Inline spell checking in Web forms
  • The ability to create bookmarks with “Live Titles” for Web sites that offer microsummaries
  • New Add-ons manager that simplifies management of extensions and themes.
  • Support for JavaScript 1.7
  • Extended search plugin format
  • Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions
  • Support for client-side session and persistent storage
  • Support for SVG text using svg:textPath
  • New Windows installer based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System
Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 also includes several bug fixes resulting directly from feedback obtained from people using our previous release candidate build. Users running Firefox 2 RC 1 will automatically be updated to Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 through the Software Update feature, and are encouraged to continue submitting feedback and Talkback reports.
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnew...se-candidate-2-is-now-available-for-download/

Downloads: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-rc.html

:)

I still don't see why they have "created" Javascript 1.7. Its not been submitted to any standards body at all, its just going to fragment the language and make it even harder for web developers to get things done. Its like 10 years worth of giant steps backwards in the fight for cross browser compatibility.

I also dont see the point of Pythonised Javascript which is essentially what Javascript 1.7 is.

it just shows how hypocritical mozilla and its hardcore userbase is. Proclaiming Standards in one hand while creating proprietary extensions in the other.

Rounded corners for example...

It's still showing this "Mozilla way or no way" attitude they've had for a long time.

will it keep all my extensions?

Only if they are compatible with version 2. Otherwise they will be grayed out and non-usable. I had a few that were not compatible, had to wait for updates to finally show.

WOW, AM I GLAD im playin with the beta, i love the spell checker..is all around way better..love it!!!

how do you get the spell checker to work? i can't find an option.
also the session manager

how do you get the spell checker to work? i can't find an option.
also the session manager
Right-click in a text field and select "Spell check this field" from the context menu. Also look under Tools>Options, Advanced tab. There's a "Check my spelling as I type" checkbox.

The session manager works automatically if the browser ever crashes, or if you install a new extension and have to restart. All the tabs you had open before will automatically load up when the browser restarts. :)

I am trying this out now .. It looks nice. Although I think the new Maxthon 2 with IE7 will be better :)

I;m giving it a try now. Altho it seems when I click a topic in the Recent Forum posts at the top VBulletin says I'm not signed it. But if I navigate to the post its fine. Same with the RSS feed.

EDIT: Oops, looks like Enable Cookies was unchecked. Fixed now. :nervous:

Right-click in a text field and select "Spell check this field" from the context menu. Also look under Tools>Options, Advanced tab. There's a "Check my spelling as I type" checkbox.

The session manager works automatically if the browser ever crashes, or if you install a new extension and have to restart. All the tabs you had open before will automatically load up when the browser restarts. :)
Ah, i didn't have that option, but i also just noticed i had to install a dictionary first, then the option appeard

I keep trying to give firefox a chance, from 1.5 to 2.0 now but i just keep going back to opera. don't get me wrong it's not a bad browser, and far superior to IE but still. Good taste in music failurbydesign, i'm going to be seeing them with dashboard soon.

So people finally are finding out how awesome it is to have a spell checker and session manage built in :D

It's wonderful.

I've never really felt the need for a spell checker, since I almost always catch my typos as they happen.
The session manager is a great addition though; especially useful when you have to restart the browser after installing an extension. :)

Not as of yet, probably won't have one until it's actually posted on their site.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back