- 19 Apr 2002
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnew...se-candidate-2-is-now-available-for-download/Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 (RC 2), the latest preview release of the next version of the Firefox browser, is now available for download. Web application developers, our testing community, and users who want to get a sneak peek at the next version of Firefox should download and install this release candidate. Please note that at this time, users should not expect all of their extensions, plugins and themes from previous versions of Firefox to work properly.
The release notes have a detailed list of what’s new in Firefox 2 RC 2, including:
Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 also includes several bug fixes resulting directly from feedback obtained from people using our previous release candidate build. Users running Firefox 2 RC 1 will automatically be updated to Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 through the Software Update feature, and are encouraged to continue submitting feedback and Talkback reports.
- A new theme that updates Firefox’s familiar interface
- Built in Phishing Protection
- Enhanced search engine management and search suggestions for Google, Yahoo! and Answers.com
- Improvements to tabbed browsing, including the ability to re-open recently closed tabs
- Firefox will resume from where you left off after a system crash or browser restart
- Better support for previewing and subscribing to Web feeds
- Inline spell checking in Web forms
- The ability to create bookmarks with “Live Titles” for Web sites that offer microsummaries
- New Add-ons manager that simplifies management of extensions and themes.
- Extended search plugin format
- Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions
- Support for client-side session and persistent storage
- Support for SVG text using svg:textPath
- New Windows installer based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System