FINISHED: Windows Vista Inside Out

thats how the big companies do it. Only time a new os is deployed is in a PC replacment cycle and then only sometimes.

We cycle our PC's in a 4 year cycle even if we recieve pc's with Vista in that time , I have been told I should blast that out and install XP . I will build one Vista box at sometime and start to test our Corporate work apps, see what trouble we will have.

Awww come on. You can't say AMAZING in caps and not even give us a hint about why. Is security good/bad, easy/hard to administer.
Well I may be a bit biased, but by AMAZING I just think it's a great read. It goes very into depth into some great new features, such as BCEDIT, Event Viewer, changes in Power User Groups between XP and Vista, much more. I just think the flow of the book, how it is written (really keeps attention) and is just very thorough. Lots of command line stuff in here too, very neat :D

I'll post more about it as I read more :)

Has anyone received this book (or the Office 2007 book) yet?

I received mine around Jan 30th or so, haven't cracked it open yet though :(

I don't think I ordered the Office 2007 book, too lazy to verify :p

Yeah, Ed Bott posted on his blog a few days ago (or maybe yesterday LOL) that Amazon finally seems to have in stock to fill the Vista pre-orders. I guess I got in under the radar ;)

May get the Office book in a bit, need to read through some of my Vista books first before I get more that will just collect dust :D

The Office book has been pushed back to late April so Amazon shipped Vista Inside Out to me today.

Windows Vista Inside Out does not really give you any info that you can use IMO. If you had XP Pro then you already know most if not all of what the book has in it.

Example from book:
The user account, which is used to uniquely identify each person who uses the computer, is an essential component in security and in providing a personalized user experience in Windows Vista. In the tradition of Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, Windows Vista allows you to restrict access to your computer so that only people you authorize can use the computer or view its files. (This is a sharp departure from Windows 95/98/Me, in which bypassing security was as simple as pressing Esc when Windows asked you for a password.) With Windows Vista, user accounts provide the means by which you can:

- Require each user to identify himself or herself when logging on

- Control access to files and other resources that you own
- Audit system events, such as logons and the use of files and other resources

Well yeah that's basic info, but I'm sure there has to be some good stuff in there too.

Not sure of much details on this as there isn't a picture or much else, but I received this e-mail -

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have expressed interest in Administering Windows Vista Security: The Big Surprises by Mark Minasi have also ordered New Perspectives on Microsoft Windows Vista for Power Users by Harry L. Phillips. For this reason, you might like to know that Harry L. Phillips's New Perspectives on Microsoft Windows Vista for Power Users will be released on April 1, 2007. You can pre-order your copy by following the link below.
New Perspectives on Microsoft Windows Vista for Power Users
Harry L. Phillips

I plan to keep an eye on it, see what it turns out to be like

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back