Find out what frequency other wireless networks are on

Skunk141

OSNN Addict
I am having a lot of drop outs with a new Belkin router and would like to find out what the other 5-6 wireless networks in my area are operating on, is there a decent bit of software free or cheap that can tell me this?

Skunk,

Im a little lost as to what you are asking here...

In one hand you are talking about your Belkin router having drop outs... so why is it important to know what frequency your neighbors are running at unless you are stealing their connections?

Tell us EXACTLY what you need to know and we can help you make the right choice for what kind of router you should choose... IF that is what you are asking...

In short we would need to know how many PC's and peripherals, what current wirless protocol the ones you currently have are using, and if you care about backwards compatibility...

Mike A!

if the 2 are clashing this would be problem matic, i believe channel 1 is used for cordless phones, normally i believe the 2 main channels in use are 11 and 14, you could try a different channel until you hit one where you are not getting drop outs.

Have you checked for latest drivers for nic cards and such? are the netwrok cards the same make as the router? As mixing different bits of kit is not well advised

Skunk,

Im a little lost as to what you are asking here...

In one hand you are talking about your Belkin router having drop outs... so why is it important to know what frequency your neighbors are running at unless you are stealing their connections?

Mike A!

I think you have the wrong end of the stick, I'm qualified enough to fix the problem, just that I didn't know where to find that bit of software :)

If wireless routers near by are operating on the same frequency you can get interference and drop outs.

if the 2 are clashing this would be problem matic, i believe channel 1 is used for cordless phones, normally i believe the 2 main channels in use are 11 and 14, you could try a different channel until you hit one where you are not getting drop outs.

Have you checked for latest drivers for nic cards and such? are the netwrok cards the same make as the router? As mixing different bits of kit is not well advised

I don't believe the theory that mixing different brands of NIC's and routers is ill advised just for the fact that most NIC's share the same chipset of either Atheros, Ralink or Broadcom amongst some others, they are just stamped Belkin, Linksys, Netgear etc... Thanks for the info on the cordless phones channell.

Most use 6 or 11. Check out netstumbler (free).
http://www.netstumbler.com/

This is exactly what I was after, great bit of software, I'll let know the outcome.

I don't believe the theory that mixing different brands of NIC's and routers is ill advised just for the fact that most NIC's share the same chipset of either Atheros, Ralink or Broadcom amongst some others, they are just stamped Belkin, Linksys, Netgear etc... Thanks for the info on the cordless phones channell.

well they may have the same chip or what ever by changes can be made to drivers and such - look at oem drivers, some are heavily edited.

Plus most issues i have seen like that have gone when all one brand was used - still trial and error and you will find the chan you need

If wireless routers near by are operating on the same frequency you can get interference and drop outs.

Even on my old Belkin Pre-N it told me which channels it was using (by default)

Check your settings dependent upon model, and then change the channel... you could have done this without netstumbler by merely looking at which device you had the higher signal strength on after you changed the channel... (

http://www.pcmech.com/article/clean-up-a-wireless-signal-by-changing-the-channel/

Next time, you could provide as much information as possible as to your situation so we know what exactly you are asking...

I have worked in the telecommunications field since 1990, and even re-reading your initial post it does not clearly state WHY you wanted the program you were asking for.

My 2 cents...

Mike A!

I believe he already knows his router channel - its everyone else's he's worried about :)

Also - I wouldn't mix chip brands. You'd want to match your wifi card to the wifi chip used in your router for best results.

I believe he already knows his router channel - its everyone else's he's worried about :)
Yeah, I figured that out AFTER he responded... but it didnt state that in his intial post...

I dont even know why I care...

Mike A!

It was pretty obvious to me exactly what he wanted and why from the original post... but then a good part of my job is desktop support... you ALWAYS have to interpret what they're saying and try to figure out what they actually mean!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back