finally caved, got me some vista

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
dropped my primary lappy, dropped my backup lappy, got a new lappy

dual core, amd turion 64, 150 gig hardrive, I don't even know how fast this hardrive is or who makes 17 inch screen had me hypnotized and I just bought it withojut too much thought

L1=64. L2=1 gig

2 gig dimm memory

I must say, this computer is surely faster then my xp which also had two gigs and I'm certain it's not the processor so for now I'm thinking vista is faster then xp

anyway, I have to activate "aero" if I want it

do I want it?

what should be the first thing I do with this box?

Aero is nice, Vista is nice. My only gripe is its inability to remember my folder settings.

I love the network profiles (especially on my notebook). I also love the "Snipping Tool".

Format and install XP.

:D

ROFLMFAO. Reps for that one. :)

As for Aero on a Laptop, it requires the video to run in 3D accelerated mode and could eat your battery and cause heating issues.

I must say, this computer is surely faster then my xp which also had two gigs and I'm certain it's not the processor so for now I'm thinking vista is faster then xp
What processor did you have earlier?

The perf increase is probably because of Vista's improved memory management, including SuperFetch; it shows on systems with 1GB or more RAM (even more so with 2GB). People gripe about less free RAM, but that's what makes the system more responsive when you have lots of things running - less paging.

anyway, I have to activate "aero" if I want it
do I want it?
If the system is capable of it, why not? I'm personally not a fan of the non-Aero theme in Vista at all. :ermm:

As for Aero on a Laptop, it requires the video to run in 3D accelerated mode and could eat your battery and cause heating issues.
It's not really an issue. If you're running on the correct power profile (Balanced or Power Saver), the "glass" effects are turned off automatically while the system is on battery power. Many mobile GPUs also clock down and reduce power consumption automatically (ATi's PowerPlay, for example, kicks in on my Tablet when it's not plugged in).

If I remember correctly, Tom's Hardware or some other similar site formally tested Vista's power consumption and published numbers, and while it was slightly higher than XP's, it's not as bad as one would think. :)

is there a program that vista can use to partition...like partition magic?
The built-in Disk Management tool (diskmgmt.msc) in Vista can expand/shrink non-system volumes. To resize the system volume, you'll need something like Acronis Disk Director or a gParted LiveCD.

Last edited:

if you're sure it's not the other specs (faster ram, better hard disk, for example) then probably because it's new.

is there a program that vista can use to partition...like partition magic?

If I recall correctly vista has a pretty handy disk management utility.

Also, dont get me wrong Vista is a great OS... its just that the driver issues and software incompatibility was to much for me. Especially the 25%+ drop in game performance, some say its as little as 5% but thats the exception and not the rule.

Anyways, Enjoy! its super shiny! :)

I have no driver issues.

None of my software is incompatible.

6GB of RAM on my rig and it really flies. I really, really love this now :) I've spent years trying to get XP to be as fluid and responsive as my vista rig is now :)

My vote is now very firmly in the Vista64 with >=4GB ram camp :)

i cant seem to find my aero theme, i thought it was there and i thought i was using it, but now im not, any ideas?

I have no driver issues.

6GB of RAM on my rig and it really flies. I really, really love this now :) I've spent years trying to get XP to be as fluid and responsive as my vista rig is now :)

so most xp programs run on vista?

are 32 bit xp progra,s running on 64?

I have no driver issues.

Well good for you :) I ran into numerous issues when I was running Vista, I would imagine most are fixed by now though.

Applications that install kernel-mode components (for example, anti-virus and defrag apps, virtual CD/DVD apps like Daemon Tools, etc.) or shell extensions need to be specifically written to support a 64-bit OS. Almost any other 32-bit application should work properly without modification.

Most apps that were built for XP should also work in Vista. Some of them might fail if they attempt to write to protected areas of the system (Program Files, Windows, HKLM, etc), but this isn't very common and can usually be worked around by running the app with elevated privileges (Run as administrator).

Almost all the apps I use myself were built for XP (there really aren't many Vista-only apps out there anyway), and all of them worked or were updated to work properly with Vista. As always, your mileage may vary. :)

My PC spends 90% of its time playing games. Most of which will never be patched to be vista friendly, but all of which run fine with vista.

The rest of the time is video/music playback, photoshop, etc.

It's been similar to moving over to dual screens in the fact that I'm wondering now why I didn't spring for 64bit and more ram sooner!

ok, so does avg work in vista?

what are you guys using...I already found a huge bug in vista, how do I report?

I use NOD32. Using AVG is like using a paper towel to plug a water leak...

As for your bug - call MS :)

I use NOD32. Using AVG is like using a paper towel to plug a water leak...

As for your bug - call MS :)
are there more viruses in vista then xp?

cuz I haven't seen avg fail on any box I've intalled it...I know nod is better but it's not free which is always good.

I laugh at the 1500 horesepower corvettes...unless they are all wheel drive there is no way ever to use those horsepower.

is there some reason in vista avg isn't as good as it is in xp?

AVG isn't good period :)

If you want free and superior grab AOL's Active Virus shield - its kaspersky but free (which makes it better than nod32 on two counts :) )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back