Final upgrade list

Moonwraith

OSNN Veteran Addict
Heya guys,
Just thought i'd post a final list of things i'll be buying and the final specs of the computer incase anyone else spots anything else i've forgotten/things that blatantly wont work. Cheers :)

Right, Once i've order my parts and salvaged the parts from here the final spec will be:

Processor: FX-55
Motherboard: MSI Neo2 Platinum
Memory: 1024mb Corsair Value Select CL2.5 PC2700
Graphics: BFG 6800gt OC
HDD: 80gb Maxtor 7200rpm
Opticals: 16xDVD-Rom and 32x12x40x CD-RW
Floppy
PSU: Antec Neopower 480w Modular
Soundcard: Creative Audigy
CPU Cooler: Zalman 7000b-CU
Case: Antec Plusview 1000
Cooling: 3x Antec 80mm LED Fans.
Operating System: Windows XP home

(anything i've missed?)

Anyone spot anything dodge/wrong with that?
Cheers :D

might want to look into a dvd burner, the pioneer dvd-108 is an excellent 16x dual layer dual format burner and is one of the cheapest going. If you can afford to add it i would go for it ;) other than that a nice system... what monitor you got/getting?

Gah, i can't actually afford anymore heh. I'm only upgrading the essentials Mobo, Processor, CPU hsf, case and graphics. Everything else is what i've got and can salvage.

Monitor is the LG L1510s which is the 15" LCD

[edit] PSU too sorry. Originally was only going to upgrade CPU, Mobo and graphics. and i thought i'd get away with just doing that, naivity is a great thing :suprised: [/edit]

So is the old case thermal design too crowded for the hot new components or is it just too plain to put that spiffy system into. ;)

PS And BTW there is no such thing as a final upgrade list, lol.

LeeJend said:
So is the old case thermal design too crowded for the hot new components or is it just too plain to put that spiffy system into. ;)

PS And BTW there is no such thing as a final upgrade list, lol.
Don't tell me that! Please don't tell me that heh

Yeah, the old case has 1 80mm fan hole and frankly.. it's white/grey and.. completely boring. Getting the modular PSU and stuff, so might aswell show off the tidy PC :D Sad, but i've got the LEDs already. heh

PC2700 memory? Shouldn't you get at least PC3200 (DDR400)?

im using pc2700 here in dual channel, i have 1024mb and it handles everything well, i also manage to do minor video editing so i would assume 2700 will be fine ;)

Zedric said:
PC2700 memory? Shouldn't you get at least PC3200 (DDR400)?
This is the ram that i own and only upgraded about 4 months ago (mobo accepts that) Is it a vital one for upgrading? (and is it something i could worry about at a later date?)

[edit] Ahh! Thank god, seems like it's not vital than :D cheers [/edit]

Moonwraith said:
This is the ram that i own and only upgraded about 4 months ago (mobo accepts that) Is it a vital one for upgrading? (and is it something i could worry about at a later date?)
Aha, I thought you were buying it. Nevermind then! :)

On the RAM see if you get lucky. I've been running my 2700 at about 3000 without reduced timing settings for 6 months. A good MB/Chipset may be more tolerant of pushing the RAm speed since they are designed for 3200.

what differences are there between modular psu and regular psu?

ming said:
what differences are there between modular psu and regular psu?
A normal PSU comes with all the cables, generally coming with a lot of cables you don't need. Modular or "advanced cable management" only the ATX comes as standard (i think it's just the atx anyways) and all other connectors you connect as needed.

So you guys think this system should be quite easy to set up and i won't find out at the last moment i've forgotten something/something doesn't work together?

cheeky bump (sorry) just need to know if all this lot will definitely work, ordering next week :) Cheers guys

they're all pretty much the same... if you are missing something, you canb always get an adaptor :)

Build hints:
If you're not planing to reformat - Before pulling the HD from the old system make sure to uninstall all the MB and video drivers. Conflicts get ugly and force reformat.

Reformating is pretty much mandatory when changing chipset vendors (Via to Nvidia, etc). When staying with Via or Nvidia chipsets from old to new MB I usually skip the reformat.

Bench check everything before doing the assembly.
1). Put the RAM, CPU, HSF together on the bench it's easier that way.
2). Lay the assembled MB/CPU/RAM/HSF on a raised non-metal surface (the MB box works nicely and makes plugging in the video card easy).
--Connect the PS to the MB (don't forget the 12V connector if it has one)
--Now plug in the power supply to an outlet. Turn PS on if it has a switch.
--Using a screwdriver, metal pen, etc. momentarily short the 2 pins marked for the power switch connector. The fans should all start spinning. You PS & HSF are good and there are no major problems with the MB/CPU/RAM.
----------------Now turn power off-----------------------
4). Plug in your Keyboard and Mouse.
--Insert the video card and connect its power connector to the PS. Plug the monitor into the video card.
--Using a screwdriver, metal pen, etc. momentarily short the 2 pins marked for the power switch connector. The fans should all start spinning and the monitor should start showing the bios POST screen. You've now verified PS, CPU, RAM, Video & MB.
5). Connect the HD & CD to the MB and PS.
--Using a screwdriver, metal pen, etc. momentarily short the 2 pins marked for the power switch connector. The fans should all start spinning and the monitor should complete the bios POST screen showing the HD and CD as detected.

You now know that all your pieces are good and if anything goes wrong at this point it will be any additional cards you put in or the physical install into the case (shorted MB to case, etc.)

Congratulations you have got a fully operational PC at this point so plug in your LAN and start loading Windows and hardware drivers (I do). Or, you can install everything in the case first and then load the software.

I wait until the MB is in the case to install the Sound Card since with 2 cards sticking up there is a risk of them leaning and touching together (a very bad thing).

:D That's great help LeeJend, thanks a lot. I thought reformatting would be needed but wasn't sure. I've not actually upgraded like this before (as you can tell probably :))

Other then the slower RAM and DVD burners having come down in price...it all looks good for now.

I'd reformat just in case. Two reasons:
1. Windows gets clogged up after a while. New hardware is a good excuse for starting on a new ball.
2. Windows tends to get a bit strange sometimes when you change the hardware. Strange problems pop up (might not be noticable until you do some specific thing) which will make you pull your hair in no time. And then you reformat and it works again. ;)

So to get that extra speed and avoid baldness, I'd reformat. ;)

Zedric said:
I'd reformat just in case. Two reasons:
1. Windows gets clogged up after a while. New hardware is a good excuse for starting on a new ball.
2. Windows tends to get a bit strange sometimes when you change the hardware. Strange problems pop up (might not be noticable until you do some specific thing) which will make you pull your hair in no time. And then you reformat and it works again. ;)

So to get that extra speed and avoid baldness, I'd reformat. ;)

baldness eh? <checks hair> :)
cheers Zedric, yeah i'll wipe. It is a good excuse to, haven't formatted for about 6 months anyways. So no one thinks that something's gonna blow up in my face or when i put it together i'm missing anything inparticular?

S'agood sign :) I'll be waiting till my exams are out, but 2 weeks today they'll be ordered. Cheers everyone :D

Nah, looks good from here. And as usual, if there are any problems, get back to us. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back