Files compressed by XP automatically?

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
Recently I’ve noticed that files that have not been accessed for some time are being compressed by XP. This seems to be all file types right across both of my hard drives.

This is not something I have implemented or even configured and I know for sure that it was not happening until after service pack one.

Any one else noticed this?

Open up my computer, then right click on one of the drives, then click properties, is the "Compress drive to save space" option checked?

Yeah, Windows automatically compresses files that haven't been used for long periods of time (esp. log files and such). It shouldn't be a cause of concern, but if you want to decompress them all, and prevent Windows from compressing them in the future, fire up Command Prompt, switch to C:\ and enter this:

compact /U /S /A /I /F /Q *.*

It works :D

As far as I know XP only compresses files if it is told to do so, when running the disk cleanup tool.
Never checked this box "compress old files" there and never noticed any automatically compressed files.

Originally posted by yoyo
As far as I know XP only compresses files if it is told to do so, when running the disk cleanup tool.
Never checked this box "compress old files" there and never noticed any automatically compressed files.

Strange :confused:
It automatically compressed old log files in the C:\WINDOWS folder on my desktop.

Originally posted by Zedric
Is it just me or do those parameters read "USA I f*ck you all"? :confused:

Whahaa, lol. Maybe an easter egg from the programmers.
I shall report it to eeggs.com, if it's ok with everyone.

The switches are acctually given in that order if you type "help compact" in the console.

But go ahead. :)

Originally posted by Zedric
The switches are acctually given in that order if you type "help compact" in the console.

But go ahead. :)

lol, I just submitted this egg to eeggs.com

Originally posted by NetRyder
Yeah, Windows automatically compresses files that haven't been used for long periods of time (esp. log files and such). It shouldn't be a cause of concern, but if you want to decompress them all, and prevent Windows from compressing them in the future, fire up Command Prompt, switch to C:\ and enter this:

compact /U /S /A /I /F /Q *.*

It works :D

Yes I know this command un-compresses files that are already compressed, what I’m after is stopping the compression in the first place (did not know what the command line parameters spelt out though, this is interesting, well spotted).

I don’t won’t any files compressed on my machine without me knowing about it. There are many reasons for this mostly security ones as I hide files in other files.

I guess my question is, what is the basis of your thinking that your files are compressed? Wanna collaborate a little more?

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I guess my question is, what is the basis of your thinking that your files are compressed? Wanna collaborate a little more?

I think the filenames might be marked in blue ... that's one way of knowing they're compressed.

Yes the files are marked in blue and the properties say the file has been compressed. This as far as I have been able to ascertain happens after about eight months of non-access.

:( :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back