File Sharing

12nights

I currently have a server running on XP. I want to be able to control who accesses certain files. IE A B & C can access the files but only B can change them. I have added all the users and there pass words and disabled simple file sharing. When I enable sharing on a file and set up the individual user access no one can access the files, but if I let the computer set access for everyone, they can access it. I have set this up before on a 2003 server with no issues but I am stumped on XP.

Leave the share permissions as Everyone, but then control access with NTFS file permissions.

j79zlr: I have to disagree. Share permissions should be set through the share settings, not NTFS permissions. Granted, that will work, but it is the incorrect way of doing things.

12nights: Can you give a little more information? Locations and such (make up names, but give us an idea of what you are trying to do. Screenshots help too)

Un4gIvEn1
One of the file folders is videos. I want everyone to be able to view them but only 1 person able to change them. Under sharing for the folder default permissions lists "everyone". If I remove "everyone" and add the persons I want to access the folder then no one can access the file from the network not even using the admin login.

j79zlr: I have to disagree. Share permissions should be set through the share settings, not NTFS permissions. Granted, that will work, but it is the incorrect way of doing things.

Actually your way is the incorrect method. NTFS permissions are going to be more secure than using share permissions. If you want to restrict access to Share A from User B, User B would be able to log onto the machine with the share and access it, if you set up the permissions with NTFS security, User B would not be able to access it period.

you've got it all wrong

The highest restriction is always enforced. Set the share permissions as Everyone Full Control, then control users by setting the NTFS security permissions. Try it, share a folder as everyone, full control. Then use NTFS security to restrict access to a user. That user will not be able to access the share, locally or from a remote machine.

Now if you set the share permission to restrict access to that user, but log on to the machine with the share, that user will be able to access it.

OK now I am confused. I know this works I had it on the other server. All I did was add the users through "computer mangement" and then add them to the share setting the permissions, but on this one no one can access the files unless "everyone" is listed in share.

NTFS Permissions

Needless to say, you must be using the NTFS file system to be able to use NTFS permissions. You will have greater control with the NTFS system for many reasons, and in the area of permissions, NTFS allows you much more specific rights and denials that you can grant for access. NTFS permissions will apply whether the user connects over the network, or connects locally. NTFS permissions also allow you to set permissions on individual files, and those permissions can be different from the parent folder.

Thanks for making my point.

Originally posted by 12nights
OK now I am confused. I know this works I had it on the other server. All I did was add the users through "computer mangement" and then add them to the share setting the permissions, but on this one no one can access the files unless "everyone" is listed in share.

Just try denying access with NTFS Security permissions, really I don't know why noone believes me on this, but it will work. Leave the Everyone group in the share permissions will Full Control. Any restrictions set through Security permissions will override the Full Control.

12nights: just make sure and remember... setting a DENY permission overrides everything else. Not setting a permission does not give rights, but does not deny rights either.

(statement retracted due to temporary rage)

thank you.

**** YOU

You pompous attitude is neither justified or needed. Why should I shut up, your method does not seem to be working for this guy now does it?

And I say, set full control for everyone, then control permission with NTFS, is it really that hard to understand? I believe that would solve his problem, no??

When I enable sharing on a file and set up the individual user access no one can access the files, but if I let the computer set access for everyone, they can access it. I have set this up before on a 2003 server with no issues but I am stumped on XP.

Now aren't you saying to set share permission per user? And he is saying that didn't work? And he also said if he sets access to everyone it works?

There are always alternatives. There is really no need to start flaming. Discussions and counter-arguments are perfectly acceptable, but please avoid getting personal in the future. Thanks.

i really got into that.. you guys should be on a soap opera! man, i was on the edge of my chair!! bravo!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back