File sharing with Win XP and Linksys router

H

HybrdFusioNZ

I was looking for some instructions to enable filesharing with two computers running on Win XP Pro, with a Linksys BEFSR41 router, and found some here

I was wondering if this is safe or if my network is highly vulnerable.

Any comments are appreciated.

sharing

I HAVE THE SAME SETUP AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS BOTH HAVE ZONE ALARM TOO ,MUST RESTART SOME TIMES COMPUTER ON ONE OF THEM DUE TO NOT NEGOTIATING CONNECTIONS.BUT ITS GOOD

PLEASE STOP SCREAMING

Ok, it is not necessary to have any protocols other than these in network properties, I have no idea why they would want to over complicate something so simple;
Client for MS Networks
File and Printer Sharing
TCP/IP

For XP Pro, disable simple file sharing (Explorer, tools, Folder Options, enable simple file sharing unchecked), put both computers in the same workgroup (right-click My Computer, properties, computer name), and have unique names (PC1 PC2, etc). Make sure that you have identical user accounts on both PC's with the same passwords. Share something, done.

For simplicity, dont run the networking wizard, it can do funky things like bridge your firewire port to your network card and other junk, absolutely unnecessary.

I have XP Pro, and the same model router except v2 and the updated firmware. I got my files shared with my Windows 2000 Pro box, which I use as a server. All I did was setup normal Windows networking, and set sharing to all of the drives in that box(becuase it has no keyboard/mouse/monitor), that why I have full access to the drives on any PC on the LAN.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

Update
I got sharing up and running but when I was assigning the names for the computers, I remember seeing something about a NetBIOS computer name. Now this is worrying me a lot because I remember reading about how vulnerable NetBIOS networks are especially when passwords are not being used. Is this network configuration using NetBIOS? I just checked my LAN connection properties and I see no netbios protocol setup but I'm still very worried. I remember reading that I can increase security by using Scope IDs. Anyone tell me how to do this?

Edit
I just saw the caption below the NetBIOS name box. It says that the name is used for interoperability with older computers and services. This gives me a bit of breathing room but I still would appreciate it if someone shed some light about this.

Your local network is already sitting behind a hardware NAT (network address translation) firewall built into the linksys.

Unless you choose to go into advanced features in the linksys setup menu and make one of the computers DMZ OR choose to open Ports in the linksys you are secure from internet access to your files. Your computers are invisible to the internet because their addresses are hidden.

The only reason to open DMZ (makes straight through connection from WWW to one computer on your LAN would be to run shoddy MS products like netmeeting or games on the MSN Gaming Zone. Most other applications will work through the router and any other software firewalls (built in XP firewall, Zonealarm, Blackice, etc.) you install.

Even though you have the router hiding your LAN a software firewall is still advisable. If the linksys does get opened up and a computer infected the other one will still be protected. Also change the default password for changing the security settings on your router from admin to a real password. Leaving default passwords in place is the biggest security lapse possible. The number 2 biggest lapse is not using robust passwords. Sex, god, your name, etc. are not passwords, they're a hackers dream. A real password is 8 characters mixing numbers and letters.

And go with something other than the built in XP firewall. I figure if MS has hundreds of security holes in all its other products why would anyone in their right mind assume the MS firewall works properly...

The final security recommendation is to back up your valuable files regularly, daily, weekly, monthly, whichever makes sense for how often and how much you change them. Off sire storage of critical data is also recommended. Even if you keep the hackers a lightning spike can ruin your day. If the power spike doesn't get you storm or fire damage can destroy the computer/data.

Thanks for the advice LeeJend. I changed the routers config pass the day I got it so I'm safe with that. I don't use DMZ or port forwarding much unless I really have to. I'll be looking into a software firewall in the near future. I guess I underestimated the security that Linksys already provides.

Once again thanks for you reply!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back