File sharing Windows PCs with different IPs

andy_c

OSNN Newbie
Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to the forum and I'm having a little trouble with my Windows network.
I basically have a PC (WinXP Home Edition with a static Public IP) and a Linksys wireless Router. I have wired internet access through the router to my PC, and wireless internet access through the router to my laptop (Win2k set to automatically obtain an IP). This all works fine!

However, I'm trying to have file sharing between the PC & Laptop. This works fine when I give both the PC & laptop similar private IPs, but internet access dies.
When I use my static public IP on the PC, the laptop & PC refuse to see eachother anymore.

I've read that for file sharing that both machines need IPs in the same address range...

So, any ideas how to file share between the two machines while keeping my static public IP on the PC?

Thanks!

Andy_C

Why does the PC not use a private IP? A router is meant to share an internet between multiple computers. It should be setup to obtain an IP automatically and the router would issue it an IP, Gateway and DNS addresses.

This doesn't have to do with workgroup. One computer doesn't have a private IP and isn't in the same subnet which is why it isn't working.

Routers are used to route traffic between two networks (in most cases a WAN and LAN setup). However for some reason andy_c has setup his PC with a public IP and his laptop uses the private IP assigned with the router.

Understanding why a public IP is being used on the PC would be the first step.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

OK, my ISP assigned me a static Public IP so I just did what I was told...
Anyway, if I set my WinXP PC to "Automatically obtain an IP Address" (hence not use the static Public IP), then my internet connection still works OK.

The automatically obtained IP's are in the range
192.168.136.xxx
192.168.137.xxx
192.168.138.xxx
(these are just some that I've seen, there may be other ranges)

I asssume that my ISP assigns the IPs (my wireless router has DHCP DISabled). Can anyone confirm that would be the case?

I've tried enabling DHCP on the router but internet access dies!
The IPs assigned by the router are in the range 192.168.1.xxx.
Can anyone give me some info about setting up DHCP on my router so that internet access will work?

The reason I want to use DHCP on the router is that it can be set up to assign IPs in a small specific range... I have Norton Personal Firewall on the PC & Laptop, this lets me allow access from other 'trusted' computers when I specify their IPs (or IP ranges) to the firewall.
So ultimately I want to only let the firewall give access to very few IPs (for max security)... so I need to ensure that router will only assign those specific IPs. And still allow my existing internet access!

Any info appreciated...

Thanks!

Andy_C

Ok what kind of internet connection do you have?

How have you connected the modem to the router?

The router should assign 192.168.1.x IPs and the WAN IP on the router shouldn't be anything like 192.168.x.x

Admiral is right, you can use the router to assign the range of IPs, and then just use MAC filtering along with WPA to manage the security.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back