File/Security permissions in xp pro

D

Dukeleto

I am trying to establish a set of file permissions on some folders on my XP Pro network.

I have 4 logons on my server, and when I set up the rules on this machine, they work fine. I have set up rules so some users can browse to some dirs and look at the files, but they cant change them or delete them. When they log in under their user profile it works as it should.

But when they log in on another machine on the same network workgroup, they go to "My Network Places" and they can see the shared folder, but can not access it. I can't figure out why, when they are using the exact same user/pass combo on the other machine.

I have noticed that when I am in the Security tab of the folder properties, and I choose "add", and then "under this location" it only shows the name of my server (arrakis) under the locations button, not the other workstations that are on my workgroup (called "DUNE").

So I can see why the rules are working when they log into the machine called "Arrakis", and not the other machines, but I cant seem to be able to add the different locations.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about :

www.jrnetworksolutions.com/screens/permissions.jpg

If anyone knows how to help me out, please do.

Thanks

you need to add the users to the PC itself and control the permissions there. IE add Michael to the PC with the shares on it and change permissions. Then when Michael logs into the workgroup and accesses your PC, he will have the permissions granted to the user Michael on your PC.

You must have simple file sharing disabled as well to do this, I'm assuming that you are on XP Pro and using NetBIOS over TCP/IP

in a workgroup every machine has its own security database.... they have to be in a domain to have a central one.

just put the same user with the same password on each machine and when you go through shares it passes the local to the next and if they match you get in. (for network shares)
but still locally on files and folders the permissions have to be set on each computer. if the accounts/passwords match coming through network then it will go wherever the local account can go and you wont see any permission screens if not they will pop up asking for local account info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back