File protection

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
I only have one user name/logon for my computer. Is it possible to password protect any folder or file so that only i can get access to it.User names are just a pain when you have to boot so far and then put in an user name and password?

u can use ntfs filing system to restrict access of other users to those folders. that's the only way i think. or get 3rd party software that does folder password protection

Originally posted by mafiafromrussia
u can use ntfs filing system to restrict access of other users to those folders. that's the only way i think. or get 3rd party software that does folder password protection

That would work but the only real problem I see is outside of third party software I don't think you can keep folks out of folders if they use your log in account. I would suggest creating multiple log ins and with XP all you would have to do to log in is type a password

well what i do on my computer to protect my files. i have windows ME, on fat32 partition, where i keep my temporary files.
then on 2nd partition which is ntfs i have windows Xp, where i have all my stuff. i have only 1 user in xp which is password protected, plus guest is disabled. that kind of thing works fine for me so far

but how can i share a single folder/program under xp if it is installed under the administrators log in.
it is for my sons games, so i need to know if there is a way to share it

why do you need to share it if you only have one user? with one user your son and yourself would both be using the same account... or is he connecting to your computer over a network or something?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back