• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

File Protection problems?

E

eminem910

ok..i'm sick of this mess... i have norton internet security..and norton antivirus protection 2003..but still get virus's.. one of them was ping.exe.. so whenever i play a game...i lag to 900 ping...sometimes it doesnt happen right away..anyways...i searched for all related programs with the word "ping" in them.and deleted most of them....i got that annoying File protection screen.even though i tried 2 times to disable it... anyways.. now i cant ping servers (ping 208.243.xx.xx) how can i fix this?.... i have my cd...what do i do?..please help..thanks

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
extract ping.exe from your XP CD and place it in C:\Windows\System32, or run sfc /scannow from the command prompt

E

eminem910

alright.i use symantec norton anti-virus....so... btw..how do i get the ping.exe file?..i only see ping.ex_ or something on my cd.:(...thanks for the info.i'm going to look more into the removal options for the virus

zyfos

Resurrected
Pop in your XP CD. Open up a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd). Type in these commands.

X: <- where X is your CD drive letter
cd i386
expand ping.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.exe

X

XP Abuser

but windows file protection only scans for replaced versions that are not digitally signed and verified by microsoft.. and would be hard for a virus writer to install code into it while keeping the digital ID for the file.. which WFP looks for... i hope im correct

if not pleez correct me

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grovo_test