file named "~" on desktop

blinden

OSNN Senior Addict
Anyone have any idea why I keep getting a file named just "~" on my desktop, no extension or anything, I don't know where it's comming from or anything...

thanks in advance.

ohh, btw, it's a binary, it's not just text or anything.

well, I had it on my desktop before, never wanted to delete it because I thought something might be using it, I just did a reinstall the other day, and it's already back

all I really had installed at the time was office XP, TweakXP, winamp 2.8, quicktime and aim(+).

mmmm, funny !

I have the same ~file once in a while.

I also have Office XP and Quicktime installed.

On the other hand I determened that the file shows up on the desktop after internet-use and/or downloading.

Yah he is correct it means temp.

What I do is go to Start>Find>~>cntrl +A>Del

BUT I WOULD LOOK THROUGH THE FILES FIRST JUST INCASE YOU DONT DELETE SOMETHING YOU WANT.

....and why would a temp file be saved at the desktop ?

(I never save my downloads on/in my desktop)

:confused:

Are you using any download programs which might bet set to download to your desktop?

Just noticed, half way to 50 posts!!!! :D
I really do have a lot to say.

well done 50 is a respectible number

[edit]holy fk I've hit 3000
w00t.gif
[/edit]

The weirdest thing just happend.. After posting for awhile on this forum, when i closed it i noticed the ~ file on my desktop. I dont have Quicktime nor Office XP installed yet. I was running deadaim, powerpoint, IE (ntfs.org), and kazaa lite. DO u think it could be this site?
Ill include the ~ file so u guys can check it out..

Hey guys, thanks for turning my thread into the "look, I have a post count" thread...

at any rate, out of the programs I listed, none of them have a default download to the desktop, and I don't know why it keeps comming back. Imma try and delete it now, see when it comes back, try and trace it back to what I was doing when it came back.

Office apps like Powerpoint have a temp file while that file is open. Do you have any PP open and saved to the desktop?

Hey guys, it looks like its AIM causing your problems. Rename the file in that zip file to a txt file and you'll see in there the words " M a i n I d e n t i t y ' s C o n t a c t s". Which makes me think its AIM, or it could be outlook express but you don't have that open?
Hope this helps...

AIM+ always was a bit fuzzy. If you want to streamline the AIM client, try DeadAIM. I use it. :) Info available at www.jdennis.net.

'Course, now that I've checked, they started charging ($1.50) for the darn thing. Heh... *******s.

not gonna pay 1.50 for tabbed interface and thats all it has over Aim+

Also in your folder options do you have hide all hidden and system files tick on? if not do that and see if it goes away (won't be gone but hidden from you :) )

gaim has had tabbed iwndows for as long as I can remember...

unfortunately, i'm not a "hide it away" but more of a "I wanna know why" kinda guy, so hiding it won't help, also it hasn't come back since I deleted it last time, which is kinda good, we'll see though

hey man, thanks a bunch

thats clears it all up now, I hope...

better late indeed, it hadn't happened for a while untill about 2 days ago

Infamous "~" Document on Desktop

Alright all. I have been trying to find something about this and have not run into any luck. Has anyone experienced, out of nowhere, a document named "~" show up on your desktop after looking at email, opening attachments on email, web browsing?

Before you all start the virus thing, I am running Norton Antivirus with all of the latest definitions. I have both software firewall (ZAP) and hardware firewall through my router (Linksys BEFSR41). I have run virus scans, Ad-Aware, Spybot, online trojan scans, online virus scans, etc, etc , etc, and my PC is clean as a whistle.

Now, this document does not contain any data whatsoever. I have definately noticed it after I have opened an attachment from an email (after closing the attachment, this thing pops up on my desktop). I am running Windows XP Pro.

Any thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back