File in use?

T

Timeo27

Lately, I've got a couple of larger movie files that I've been trying to move to different folders, but when I try to move one of the files, it says that the file is currently in use, despite the fact that I haven't tried playing it or opening it in anyway. This still occurs even after I've restarted the computer. That's the annoying thing; usually restarting does the trick.

Anyone have any ideas?

If you know you're way around a prompt window try this. If not let us know & you'll get a simpler explanation.

Open a prompt window & navigate to the file. Open taskmanager/processes & close explorer.exe. Leave task manager open. Now go to the prompt window & move the file to where you want. Now go back to task manager/applications & start windows.exe.

Thanks, Hipster, I should have thought of that before. I grew up using DOS and command prompts.

Anyway, I've got my files moved, but I still wish that I could fix whatever it is that's mixed up with the file, because it still thinks it's in use or something.

It seems to be an xp thing. :eek:

And it should have said 'start explorer.exe' not windows.exe. DOH!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back