File Dialog Box Changes?

G

GoKyu

Hi all, I'm wondering if it's possible to permanently change the "View" of files to "Thumbnail" when you open a file dialog box...

I asked this on IRC, and someone mentioned setting the "Apply to all folders" option in Folder Options under the Control Panel, but that's *not* what I'm looking to do.

Like when you go to File -> Open under almost any program, and a list of files shows up - *THAT* is what I want set to be a permanent thumbnail view :)

It's probably a registry change, but I've checked some search engines, and haven't been able to find out how to do it :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

-Bryan

The way windows determines which view to use in the FILE>OPEN>browse list is by using the directorys settings, so if it is set to 'details' the menu show you the details view and so on.
So the guy on IRC was right, the easiest way to set it so that all folders show you the "Thumbnails" view would be to open the explorer and set it to thumbnail view and then TOOLS>Folder Options>View tab> Apply to all folders button.
Alternativly, you could goto the folders that you want to open in the "thumbnails" mode and individually set them to "thumbnail" view. and as long as you have the "remember each folders view settings" check box marked in the folder options it should save those dir's with that view.

rettahc, does it work on your computer this way? On mine it doesn't. Even if the folder is set to thumbnail or detail view, the open/save dialogue alway shows list view. The only folders that are displayed in thumbnail view are the MyPictures and MyVideos folders.
Don't know how to change this behaviour. Couldn't find anything in the registry so far.

ACK!

Yoyo you seem to be right, for whatever reason when I tested it earlier it opened my pictures dir and that open in thumbnail view. Wasnt paying attention, Im used to the dialoge opening up on my desktop.

[edit]
Plus earlier I was using ms word, I just discovered that for whatever reason the word dialoge box retains its view settings.

The thing is, all of my Windows Explorer folders *are* set to thumbnail view already (as I prefer it), but the File Dialog boxes are always set to the filenames, and I have to change it manually every single time I open it. (I'm using Photoshop a lot these days, and being able to see thumbnails in the file dialog helps a *great* deal...)

Any other options?

-Bryan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back