File and Printer Sharing

BrentNorin

OSNN Newbie
Hello,

I am having a problem with networking between my Desktop PC and my Notebook PC. I've stumped 3 HP tech reps and am looking for some help. My setup is as follows:

Internet -> Modem -> D-Link DI-524.
From the Router, my Notebook connects Wirelessly and my Desktop is Wired.

Both computers have working internet access. The Desktop uses XP Pro SP2 and the Notebook has XP Home SP2. They both can see eachother on the network, and both can ping eachother whether the firewalls are up or down. I keep the firewalls down every time I try this though. The Desktop PC can see and access files on the Notebook. The Notebook can only see the Desktop and cannot access anything on it. Every time I try to access the Desktop from the Notebook I receive this error:

\\Family is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Login failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

I have tried both the "Set up a home or small office network" and "Set up a wireless network for a home or small office" wizard. I don't what is wrong, and I thought networking was simple until this. I really don't know what I should have done/been doing to setup the network. I'm open to all help and I need all the help I can get, because two days now and I'm tired of fighting for this.

Thanks!

Try this, make sure simple filesharing is enabled in Folder Options. Go Start>Run> secpol.msc

Click Local Policies>Security options
Look for Network access: Let everyone permissions apply to Anonymous users
Double click (or right click>properties) and click enable.

Try that, if it doesnt work try enabling the guest account.

Please be clear, because I'm at the point where I don't trust myself to make these simple decisions. Do you want me to do that on the Notebook, the Desktop, or both? On the Notebook, I don't have secpol.msc.

This is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

Have you right clicked the folder on the desktop computer, selected Sharing and Security, and checked the box "Share this folder on the network" in the Network Sharing and security section of the window?

I occasionally forget to share out files I want network access to. Only the My Shared Folder is shared by default.

Yes I have tried sharing folders, individual files, and the harddrive in additional to the default shared folder. And in addition, the Notebook does not have the option in Folder Options for 'Simple File Sharing'.

BrentNorin said:
Please be clear, because I'm at the point where I don't trust myself to make these simple decisions. Do you want me to do that on the Notebook, the Desktop, or both? On the Notebook, I don't have secpol.msc.

Sorry that would be on the Desktop (XP Pro) machine. Simple file sharing is an XP Pro thing.

Last edited:
I did the secpol.msc thing: nothing changed
enabled guest account: nothing changed

On the notebook (xp home) I have Norton Internet Security 2005
On the desktop (xp pro) I have Norton AntiVirus 2003

The PCs can see eachother, they can ping eachother, and the desktop can access the laptop, just not the other way around. I don't think the problem has to do with any firewall, anti-virus stuff. I do believe the problem is on the desktop computer not allowing my laptop to access it.

Problem solved guys. The desktop had some group policy issues, I just reset everything using secedit and now the network works great. Thanks for your time in trying to solve my problem!

BrentNorin said:
Problem solved guys. The desktop had some group policy issues, I just reset everything using secedit and now the network works great. Thanks for your time in trying to solve my problem!

This issue is as close to the exact same issue I have as I can find... what specifically did you do with secedit?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back