few questions about os

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
i have a few questions about OS, just somethings we are going through in college but i thought i'd ask some experieced people =)

why do computers have software?

describe what an operating system does?

i need to reearch windows and linux and use examples in those questions.

describe what application software does? and research 2 applications then use them as examples.

any help appreciated

In uber-basic terms..

why do computers have software?
Because the machine can not perform functions by itself.

describe what an operating system does?
Operates the system, see the first question for why.

describe what application software does?
Applications perform a specific function, therefore this question is null (unless you answer with the specific function thing). Notepad edits/creates text. Paint makes little doodles when you're at work and have nothing better to do.. and so forth.

:D

If you need more in-depth answers, here they are:

1) Computers have software to allow user interaction with the computer's hardware. Without software, there would be no way for the user to interact with his/her machine.

2) An operating system provides a link between the hardware layer, and the software layer. Basically, after the BIOS finishes the POST and other things right when you start up your computer, it give the operating system control over the hardware. That means that your operating system, such as Windows, will be able to access hardware such as hard drive, CDROM drives, and many other devices.

You might want to go search on the internet for more information on operating systems and why computers have software if you need more information.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back