few clean format win2k questions

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
ive just installed win2k clean and to get back to normal i have run into some problems. i ask them all in 1 post to same time and amount of posts.

1. whenever i have tried to install some applications back i get an error "The installation package could not be opened. Verify that this package exists and that u can access it, or contact the application vender to verify that this is a valid windows installer package" i tried 2 install windows installer 2 but it said this service already exsists or something.

2. i can get some games to play in full 1024x768 resolution so theres a big black border around some of them.

3. how do i perminently remove the folder "links" from my favourites folder.

4. some of the icons in the task bar look like they @ 256 colours or something or like when ur graphics driver aint installed but the rest of the computer colour is in 32-bit.

5. how do i remove the my network places icon?

6. how do i change drive icons? i installed a second hard drive and its make that D:\ instead of the cd rom, i know it dont make much different but i would like my cd @ D:\ master hdd @ c:\ floppy @ a:\ and slave hdd @ e:\ how do i do that?

sorry for all the questions but its better to get them in 1 post than 6 different ones, any1 that can offer any help thanx in advance:happy:

1.) How do you try to install? From cd or harddrive?
2.)don't know
3.)Hide Links Folder on Favorites Menu http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/550/
4.)Are those icons customized ones? Windows 2000 cannot display WinXP icons.
5.)Start - Run - gpedit.msc - User Configuration - Desktop - Hide My Network Places from desktop
6.)rightclick MyComputer icon - manage - Disk Management - highlight CDRom - in the menu click Action - All Tasks - Change Drive Letter and Path - assign a drive letter that is still free, X perhaps, next highlight D- drive assign drive letter E, next go back to CDRom drive assign drive letter D.
What is on the second harddrive? If you have shortcuts that point to D, you will have to correct the path for each shortcut. Don't change the driveletter if you have applications or games installed there.

Originally posted by yoyo

2.)don't know

not often you say that :eek: yoyo

LOL

have look for a *.*.cfg file (configuration file) > delete it

when the game restarts it should redetect your hardware and change its own settings accordingly

BTW > if its a thin black border > dont worry about it, a lot of games do that > if you resize/geometry your monitor display to get it full screen > your D/top ends up being oversized

:rolleyes:

thanx for your help, most of its sorted now. about the installing, its when installing from my HDD i think its only those MSI installers tho or whatever they're called. i cant seem 2 fix it:huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back