[Feedback Wanted] Proposed Frontpage Changes

Which font(s) out of the five do you like? You may pick more than one.

• Font #1

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Font #2

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Font #3

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Font #4

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Font #5

• None. Go back to the old font!

• Total voters
Ok, am I the only one still who thinks that the front-page font looks like ass?

I thought we were trying to attract more people? That font is too bloody hard on the eyes, WAY too hard to read.

Never knew we had a problem with the font :(

Boo...
You're not alone, it's far too narrow as it is.

Wonder if we can knock up a sample page where you can change the font and/or size at a whim so we can get people checking out the ideal combo.

If it were up to me I wouldn't worry about the font until the layout is finalized. I really like the changes NR has mocked up.

Another thing: Why don't we write our own news management system? Is there something you like about vNews?

Well I think that is my question.

If people don't like it, maybe we can try to change things they don't like to keep the current system in place rather than a home-grown re-write?

I have plans but we have to see what happens.
Don't really want the Jelsoft CMS as I think alot of sites will use it, may well kick ass.

Everytime we go down the path of discussing a custom CMS, everything comes to a grinding halt for the next several months. So I figured it would be best to make the best of what we have, and customize vNews until it looks kickass (and it is possible).

To the people who aren't happy with the new font - are you seeing Segoe UI or Arial? Segoe at 12px looks good to me, but I'm not really sure about Arial. We could certainly look into other fallback fonts and play with the sizes. Suggestions on better fonts would really help so we can try them out.

I also need to know specifically what you guys don't like about the new design in the screenshot so that I can throw around some alternatives. Speak up! I really want to see some more changes going live! :)

Last edited:
Everytime we go down the path of discussing a custom CMS, everything comes to a grinding halt for the next several months. So I figured it would be best to make the best of what we have, and customize vNews until it looks kickass (and it is possible).

To the people who aren't happy with the new font - are you seeing Segoe UI or Arial? Segoe at 12px looks good to me, but I'm not really sure about Arial. We could certainly look into other fallback fonts and play with the sizes. Suggestions on better fonts would really help so we can try them out.

I also need to know specifically what you guys don't like about the new design in the screenshot so that I can throw around some alternatives. Speak up! I really want to see some more changes going live! :)

Why don't you do a mock up front page again, with all your button tweeks and stuff. But using the Segoe UI font. Take a screen shot of it and post it. This way we all see it and we can post if it is what we are all seeing or not and also comment if it really is too narrow/big or looks like ass. :)

Why don't you do a mock up front page again, with all your button tweeks and stuff. But using the Segoe UI font. Take a screen shot of it and post it. This way we all see it and we can post if it is what we are all seeing or not and also comment if it really is too narrow/big or looks like ass. :)

I'm pretty sure the screenshot already posted is using the Segoe UI font dude. :lick:

Yeah it does huh. Hmmm. It is narrower than other fonts which in turn makes everything longer. Are there any other fonts that have that slightly wider look to them? Not as tall as the Segoe UI, but not razor thin either.

Yeah it does huh. Hmmm. It is narrower than other fonts which in turn makes everything longer. Are there any other fonts that have that slightly wider look to them? Not as tall as the Segoe UI, but not razor thin either.

Besides Verdana that everyone seems to be mentioning, Trebuchet MS is a great choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web

Oh and if you guys want to compare several fonts together, I find Typetester to be very useful :D

I put in a vote for Verdana, been using it a lot lately :)

going back to the logo (and I know EP is going to be "fussy" about it!) but it seems a simple idea to me that they did this small but nice change to the IE logo with v7 - since the OSNN one also has a globe, well a sphere, could we not do soemthign with it like what m$ did with theirs?

Just a thought...

What the heck was wrong with the font as it was?

I didn't hear anyone complain.

I personally can't bear to read the front page anymore, hurts my eyes too much.

What the heck was wrong with the font as it was?

I didn't hear anyone complain.

I think they are calling it "change". And yeah I know, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". But if they are gonna change up the front page then they wanna change up the font also. Anyway...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back