[Fedora] Setting IP Aliases via SSH

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
OK, heres the thing I have to setup a Fedora server to have another 4 ip addresses. I have managed to change it from one ip range to another by modifying /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

now how do I add ip address aliases. I have googled about and havent found anything shockingly helpful

am I correct in thinking that it should be something along the line of
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1

and so on

or maybe
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0-range0
and then define the range within that??

have I got this right?

went with the range format, seems to have worked out right

THose scripts just get executed on bootup, so it does not matter what you call em.

Call em damnwhydidiinstallfedoraandnotBSD :p J/K

X-Istence said:
THose scripts just get executed on bootup, so it does not matter what you call em.

it matter what I call them, they are text files of a specific format :p
the rest of what is in there could be named whatever though, but those files had to be named specifically

I just wish linux didnt put stuff in stupid places
/etc/rc.conf makes so much more sense

just pop the ifconfig commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I forget what they are off the top of my head.

X-Istence said:

in geffy's defence, i was poking him with a large pointy stick to do this... it was obviously not his prefered choice of OS :D

geffy - i think you're converting me to the BSD following :)

Good good. The more members the merrier. Now pleas be aware, the BSD group does not allow such things as:

1337, or hax0r in the group :p (Sorry, stereo type, which mostly seems true).

chrisbyrd said:
in geffy's defence, i was poking him with a large pointy stick to do this... it was obviously not his prefered choice of OS :D

geffy - i think you're converting me to the BSD following :)

pointed stick with some sentient pot noodle at the end of it, that was the scary part :p

muhahaha, the BSD following increases :D

geffy, you are doing some good work. I award you the following award for getting switchers :p

Did someone say switchers? :p

ellenfeiss6rg.jpg

Smart people switchers :D

BSD really is nice for sysadmins. Lets you be lazy and look busy while being lazy :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back