Favorite Tweaking Program?

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
Anyone have a favorite tweaking program for their OS? Post it here.

Honestly, I don't use anything more than regedit. Lex's Tweaking Experience guide has a whole database of tweaks that you can enable by editing the registry.
But if you prefer to use software Xteq's X-Setup is the most comprehensive one I've seen.

Yea I dont really know of that much, but the ones I have heard of and heard they were pretty good were what NetRyder pointed out.

netryder points absolutely the two best sources on the entire INTERNET.

you need not bother looking for anything more inclusive, or less benign

I prefer you use Lexi's file and do it manually for the education...

HOWEVER!!!!

when you try a tweak, do not accept the value of it just because you read that it has value

"every single "performance tweak" has a serious trade...a very serious trade.

you have to figure out what the trade is, and then decide of you want speed in one place for a slow down somewhere else

NOW

when you see an interface tweak

THESE Will SPEED YOU UP THE MOST

because your convenience will not be at the cost of speed somewhere else

enjoy your effort

that's the most important thing

here's an example of a serious trade that even I didn't realize I had given away.

following is a cut and paste from along time ago, when I upgraded from home to pro xp.

Services tweak? maybe not
well, I think everyone knows I finally upgraded to xp pro...the cd has been sitting around in my house for about a year I guess.

anyway, I had to re do my services right?

well, here is a great point.

I turned off the services I think I don't use...mostly I set them to manual btw, I don't turn them off if the default is automatic.

anyway, this does not make extra ram available as many people think...if a service is not being used, the ram is marked for release regardless, and it is available...but that's another discussion.

what tweaking the services actually does, is speed your boot time, and this is the reason to do it.

however, you might be slowing down another activity of yours, and in total, have slowed down, and not sped up.

also, I want everyone to understand that the black viper site is very aggressive, and the black viper himself is self ecucated, and makes some assumptions that are not valid.

for instance, I had a long discussion with him about some irresposible and incorrect suggestions he had on his site, and after he benchmarked, realized my facts were correct, he then changed his pages...but he was adament that he was correct untill he benchmarked.

this is another thread though, and not to be discussed here.

so, there I was, setting to manual whatever I could, and indeed sped my boot up by about 40 sseconds.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

it's been a week or so, and only just realized my internet explorer is searching for settings again on the first launch.

this on my box takes well over 40 seconds.

took me a while guys.

I went into lan settings, made sure those were correct...(they were not, but no joy), I went into my registry, redid everything I had done for my internet tweaking...

I WENT EVERYWHERE.

no joy.

and then today, I realized it's probably one of the services I turned off.

now, I went in, and I went back to automatic on a couple of the possibilities...I don't have it in me to figure out just which one it was, so don't ask me to go through the trial and error, as it would involve a reboot with every service I reset, and I don't want to do it.

but now I have joy

I launch ie, and bam, it's up...no searching for settings...boom.

SO

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS SOMETIMES YOU THINK YOU ARE SPEEDING YOUR BOX, AND NOTICE A SPEED UP SOMEWHERE, BUT YOU ARE ACTUALLY SLOWING YOUR BOX DOWN MORE SOMEWHERE ELSE...SOMETIMES YOU WILL NEVER REALIZE THE FOLLY...IT TOOK ME TWO WEEKS TO REALIZE SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH MY INTERNET EXPORER

and everybody is capable of falling prey to these kinds of results, THOSE THAT SEEM like a good idea, but in fact are not.

that's all

it's a good reminder to people like myself, that think I'm doing some valid tweaking, when in fact, even I can be counter productive in my tweaks.

carry on

Yeah, agree with you fully there Dealer. Everyone will have to figure out what's best for their PCs especially the services. Having taken into account the warning, here are my fav programs:
Freshui, Tweakui, Rivatuner, Startup Delayer, Winguides TweakManager and Registry Guide, X-setup...for links google (my signature has another useful link :)).

My favorite tweaker is perris. v5 now or something. *shrug*

Well tweak apps to me are o.k. I am one of those individuals that wants more even after the tweak. So I go further and further and further till finally it all goes @rse over t*t a.k.a. 'pear shaped'.

Tweaks to me are o.k. in moderation.

I use tweak xp pro version 2.11.

I use internet tweak version 3.

I like magic tweak, I like win boost. Untill my mother glues her credit card back together, then I will use the two I have.

you have over clockers is there such a forum as over tweakers?

I wonder.:)

Dealer. Out of curiosity I would like to see your list of service settings sometime.

My favorite tweaking program has been registryrobot. Not because its the most powerful, but because it explains everything, lets me see what the current settings are, and provides an undo option.

I'm actually kind of fond of gpedit.msc Lots of tweaks in there nobody knows about, but I like letting windows handle its own settings.

Xteq's X-Setup & TweakUI

here is a list of my services, what u think?

services.JPG

Too much on automatic. Should really post this on a separate services thread :)

to much on automatic??? those are the only services i have running, there are like 24 and from those synmatec antivirus, defwatch and gear are no native to Xp so i hace 21 services........

i will post ina nothe thread

nvhardpage is a good little program. it was made for the 45.xx - 51.xx series of drivers, but it works fine with my 52.16s.

actually, the neat thing about it is that it allows you to acess the advanced settings of your nvidia graphics card(clock frequency, etc.) it allows you to do this in the properties window for your card (display properties -> settings -> advanced -> your gfx card.)
i find it useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back