Favorite Linux/BSD Applications

Some of my favourites:

Xfce as a window manager. I don't think any other window manager has as many features but is yet still this slim. It is very small and is awesome to use on older hardware which lacks the CPU power to run Gnome or KDE.

Mousepad is a simple notepad replacement, and does exactly that. It reads/writes text files no extra fluff what so ever. I have it installed just to be able to do simple edits and to have a space to copy and paste text when I need to store it somewhere.

FireFox off course. Do I need to explain why?

FileZilla for FTP transfers. I use this all the time, since I am absolutely too lazy to remember the different commands and downloading multiple files over standard command line FTP sucks

VLC for playing media files.

vim an improved version of vi which can do syntax highlighting. I use vi when I need to open multi-gigabyte files since it is the only text editor that is able to do so without killing itself. It is very efficient and has an awesome amount of syntax that is available to the user to help them do common items, for example searching and replacing.

Epiphany - A lightweight web browser. It's faster than Firefox 3 (haven't tested 3 yet), and if you don't need Firefox's extensions... Then you should use Epiphany :p

GNOME Do - That's a pretty neat Quicksilver replica for GNOME. It saves a lot of time after you get used to it, so give it a try :)

Rhythmbox - An iTunes-like music player with some nice filtering options.

Pidgin - I don't think anyone will need this description, but here is it anyway: Pidgin is an all-in-one Messenger/ICQ/AIM/Jabber/etc. replacement with plug-in support.

Last edited:
lftp (awesome cli ftp client)
enlightenment 17 (i know its not an app but i love e17 its just so fast and speeds up my work flow).

Haven't seen them mentioned yet, so I'll point out TestDisk and PhotoRec, which I just used to recover thousands of files from a friend's accidentally wiped hard drive. (It also runs in Windows, but I used it in Linux to recover a Linux drive, so I think it counts.)

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good, lightweight replacement to Open Office? My laptop with Ubuntu is not very powerful, and Open Office barely runs. I'd like to find something sleeker and faster. Any thoughts?

I have to say, my favorite Linux application all around is MythTV. That system is amazing. All of my media in one place and with great controls.

Second would be VLC player. I cant believe how awesome this player is and how far and wide its format support goes. It can play ISOs without mounting for crying out loud!

Haven't seen them mentioned yet, so I'll point out TestDisk and PhotoRec, which I just used to recover thousands of files from a friend's accidentally wiped hard drive. (It also runs in Windows, but I used it in Linux to recover a Linux drive, so I think it counts.)

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good, lightweight replacement to Open Office? My laptop with Ubuntu is not very powerful, and Open Office barely runs. I'd like to find something sleeker and faster. Any thoughts?

Depending on what you need, if it is just word processing take a look at AbiWord. It is a fairly lightweight document editor which was absolutely fantastic when i last used it.

SMPlayer for media playback

Conky for system monitoring

Viewnior for image viewing

Arora for a fast and light web browser

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back