Favorite Linux/BSD Applications

Ok, this is pure eye-candy, but I love it :D

3D-Desktop
3D-Desktop is an OpenGL program for switching virtual desktops in a seamless 3-dimensional manner on Linux. The current desktop is mapped into a fullscreen 3D environment where you may choose other screens. Several different visualization modes are available.

The transition from working desktop to fullscreen 3D environment is seamless. In other words when the pager activates you see your current desktop appear to zoom out to a point in space where you can see your other virtual desktops allowing you to select another.

http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/index.php

Very similar to the user-switching animation in OS X, but much more useful if you're on a single user machine, since this is a workspace/virtual desktop switcher.
You'll need to have DRI working in X before you can use it. Make sure you read the README to understand how to set it up. The great thing about this is, since it's OpenGL rendered, the animation is very fast and fluid, so it doesn't affect productivity in any way, and it just looks awesome. Give it a try. :)

NetRyder said:
Ok, this is pure eye-candy, but I love it :D

3D-Desktop

http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/index.php

Very similar to the user-switching animation in OS X, but much more useful if you're on a single user machine, since this is a workspace/virtual desktop switcher.
You'll need to have DRI working in X before you can use it. Make sure you read the README to understand how to set it up. The great thing about this is, since it's OpenGL rendered, the animation is very fast and fluid, so it doesn't affect productivity in any way, and it just looks awesome. Give it a try. :)

That is definitely sexy...the fact that its a workspace switch rather than user switch makes it more groovy than if it was almost never seen (like you said, in a single user environment) nice find, I do say! :p

Hehe, a few of my friends want to try Linux simply after I showed them this little thing :p

Okay, while on the topic of eye-candy, I thought I'd throw this in too.

Bootsplash
This is the home of the graphical boot process for the linux kernel although it is not yet a part of the official kernel. It is, however included in several major distributions. If your favorite linux doesn't include this patch in their kernel send them an email requesting it to be included!

Features:
* Nice graphics (JPEG)
* Antialiased text rendering (TrueType)
* Animations (MNG)
* Progress Bar
* Display of boot messages above or below a graphic. ("verbose" and "silent" modes)
* Fully themeable

http://www.bootsplash.org/

Check out the site for more details/screenshots etc.
As mentioned, some distros already come with this (I'm quite sure Redhat and SuSE do), but you can always set it up if you use one that doesn't already include it. It will require a kernel recompile, but the end result is quite nice. :)

Also, for fellow Slackware users: You can get a tgz package of bootsplash from LinuxPackages.net. Download it here, and read the READ.THIS file first: http://www3.linuxpackages.net/packages/Slackware-9/pcxz/bootsplash/
There are a few nice Slackware themes included in that package as well.
You'll still need the kernel patch from bootsplash.org for your version of the kernel.

NetRyder said:
You installed EVERYTHING? :eek: :p
I actually use the repositories only when I need to get software that's not in the official Slackware tree. For all my base system updates and other important packages, I stick to Slackware-9.1 or Slackware-current from the official mirrors.

But what you say is true. SWareT is still being developed, and it's not as mature as the Gentoo/BSD ports tree yet, but I'm sure it'll get there sooner or later. :)

gentoo has portage, its nothing like that what the FreeBSD port system is.

It is based off of it, but changed in a lot of ways that make it ugly. (IMHO)

FreeBSD port tree is awesome.

Hot tip: A thread that starts out with a couple of "404 Error" results isn't likely to inspire a lot of confidence.

LOL was wondering why a 4 year old thread was active? LOL

strange to see it too since i was just looking at firewall software.

and OOOO to all NTFS members. LOL been a while

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back