Favorite Linux/BSD Applications

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I had posted a link to this page before we lost the old forum database, and several members found it useful, so I'll post it again.

This table lists some of the most popular Windows software for common tasks, and an array of "equivalent" apps for the Linux operating system.
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions, to recommend your favorite Linux software to other NTFS members, or to give us your opinions on apps that are already listed. :)

http://www.swaret.org

Thanks to Netryder for making me aware of this application. Keeps your Slackware packages up to date, not as nice as the ports collection in BSD but a nice step in that direction.

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 233
Ah yes, Swaret is definitely a wonderful little tool for us Slackware users. :)
If you decide to use it, make sure you add the repositories as well, in addition to the official Slackware mirrors. That way, you can get external packages from sites like LinuxPackages.net through swaret with a single command too.
Instructions on how to add unofficial repositories are on the SWareT site.

CheckInstall:
CheckInstall keeps track of all files installed by a "make install" or equivalent, creates a Slackware, RPM, or Debian package with those files, and adds it to the installed packages database, allowing for easy package removal or distribution.

Author's description:
A lot of people has asked me how can they remove from their boxes a program they compiled and installed from source. Some times -very few- the program's author adds an uninstall rule to their Makefile, but that's not usually the case. This is my primary reason to write CheckInstall. After you ./configure; make your program, CheckInstall will run make install (or whatever you tell it to run) and keep track of every file modified by this installation, using the excelent installwatch utility written by Pancrazio 'Ezio' de Mauro (p@demauro.net).
When make install is done, CheckInstall will create a Slackware, RPM or Debian compatible package and install it with Slackware's installpkg, "rpm -i" or Debian's "dpkg -i" as appropriate, so you can view it's contents with pkgtool ("rpm -ql" for RPM users or "dpkg -l" for Debian) or remove it with removepkg ("rpm -e"|"dpkg -r"). Aditionally, this script will leave you a copy of the installed package in the source directory so you can install it wherever you want, which is my second motivation: I don't have to compile the same software again and again every time I need to install it on another box.

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/index.php

Rhythmbox:
If you like Winamp on Windows, XMMS would be a similar app for Linux. Rhythmbox, on the other hand, very closely resembles iTunes. There are some bugs that still need to be ironed out, but the pace of development is good. Give it a try if you want an iTunes-style jukebox.

Rhythmbox is an integrated music management application, originally inspired by Apple's iTunes.
Rhythmbox has a number of features, including:
* Easy to use music browser
* Searching and sorting
* Comprehensive audio format support through GStreamer
* Internet Radio support
* Playlists

http://rhythmbox.org/

phlak0.2 try it

I use SuSe 9.0Pro as my main distro, but I have been into phlak 0.2 distro
very neat
phlak_ad4.gif

www.phlak.org

NetRyder said:
Ah yes, Swaret is definitely a wonderful little tool for us Slackware users. :)
If you decide to use it, make sure you add the repositories as well, in addition to the official Slackware mirrors. That way, you can get external packages from sites like LinuxPackages.net through swaret with a single command too.
Instructions on how to add unofficial repositories are on the SWareT site.

Be careful with these REPOS sites :) I just installed everything (because I'm nuts) and it missed massive amounts of dependencies. Easy enough to fix, but if you dont know what you're doing it might be a hassle.

You installed EVERYTHING? :eek: :p
I actually use the repositories only when I need to get software that's not in the official Slackware tree. For all my base system updates and other important packages, I stick to Slackware-9.1 or Slackware-current from the official mirrors.

But what you say is true. SWareT is still being developed, and it's not as mature as the Gentoo/BSD ports tree yet, but I'm sure it'll get there sooner or later. :)

actually its fun :) KDE 3.1.94 looks pretty good so far (I really only use Fluxbox as my WM). Also FB 0.9.8 looks really nice. Gaim is dockable on the taskbar. I wouldn't do this on a stable box, but this one is for testing. Downloaded about 217MB of stuff :D

Sounds like fun :D
I might do that when I decide I need to nuke-and-reinstall.

Slackware users:
Dropline Gnome

Dropline GNOME is a version of the GNOME Desktop that has been tweaked for Slackware Linux systems. It is available in Slackware's standard .tgz package format, in addition to the usual source code. The current release is based off of the latest GNOME 2 distribution from the GNOME Project.

* A complete set of i686-optimized packages
* A convenient network-based installer and update system to easily keep your desktop up-to-date.
* The latest release of FreeType combined with XFree86 to display crisp, elegant fonts at any resolution on any type of display.
* PAM integration, allowing configurable, increased functionality to non-root users (Example: changing the time or date).
* FAM integration, allowing Nautilus to display an up-to-the-second accurate representation of your filesystem.
* Library support for both ALSA (sound) and CUPS (printing). Niether is required, but the Dropline GNOME packages can take advantage of either.
* A simplified, task-based menu system.
* A default layout and theme setup designed to stay out of your way while remaining visually elegant.

http://www.dropline.net/gnome

I've just used it. Handly little tool. I've put this in cron.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back