Faulty MB or bios..Moving on!

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Ok, so i have a gateway GM5485E

Specs

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009586/1009586nv.shtml

It has this problem like a few other models, something triggers something and every hour the pc restarts!. I have updated the bios like gateway says, but its getting annoying (just started to do this after two months of not doing it).

http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-2554910588.shtml So i was thinking just upgrading the MB, i want something that is on the same level or better...

Here are the mb specs

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006194R/4006194Rnv.shtml

I want to be able to use my ram still, im i understand i may need a new OS install, but i dont care, i just want it fixed!

Last edited:
on second thought, i might not have had any that caused restarts. can't remember exactly. but a bad power supply can do weird things.

A reset can be soft or hard.

Software resets can be caused by MB peripherals, drivers, the MB chipset etc. Usually these kinds of failures are detected by the operating system which writes a history of the system status to disk and then reboots or leaves up a blue screen based on the reboot setting in Bios.

A hard reset is caused by the MB/CPU getting lost in the code (caused by memory, CPU or MB chipset failure) or a power failure (PSU or MB CPU regulator). When this happens a lock up or a reboot occurs with no failure record.

The problem you described sounds more like a hard failure which points to the MB, CPU, memory or PSU. You can try removing memory sticks one at a time. For the CPU (arithmetic) a stress test like in Sandra will work. Stress testing the MB and RAM individually might show up a weak point. The only way to try to isolate the PSU is to remove everything you can from the system to reduce loading and see if the problem goes away.

The only way to try to isolate the PSU is to remove everything you can from the system to reduce loading and see if the problem goes away.
or hook up an extra for a while.

i can't be the only one who has enough extra parts to build at least two and a half complete systems. :lick:

i can't be the only one who has enough extra parts to build at least two and a half complete systems. :lick:

I've got enough parts to build 3 spare PCs (and I did) but with the constant changes in socket type, PSU standards, memory, video, etc. I'm hare pressed to have spares on any of my newer equipment. :(

I've got enough parts to build 3 spare PCs (and I did) but with the constant changes in socket type, PSU standards, memory, video, etc. I'm hare pressed to have spares on any of my newer equipment. :(

Ha i have parts, but nothing to build anything remotely good, so back to the issue, is there a good MB that could replace this one?

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I would take that one also ....

ok so lets say i stick with that asus, i have an nvidia 8500gt, do you think the onboard video kicks the ass of my msi 8500?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back