Fat32 vs NTFS ( Yeah, I know )

HellyHans

OSNN Addict
Yeah ok.. I know it's covered everywhere bla bla bla..But I havnt seen anyone ask this one..

1: With NTFS do programs and games or whatsoever have more trouble running then in Fat32?
2: Is there a speed diff. in Games using NTFS ?
3: Is is worth going NTFS on a 20Gig?
4: If I would want to go NTFS after you guys help me ;) Is is better to convert or just reformat my XP Pro/FAT32 that has nothing really installed yet except Counter-Strike :p
5: Thanks alot.
6: Read line 5: ;)

I'am running a
750 Duron
256Ram
MSI K7T-Turbo
GF2PRO64DDR

In my experiance

Hi,

1) Not that I have noticed
2) Yer there is a minor speed difference. I have not really noticed it though. NTFS is slightly slower.
3) Depends.. do you need security? if not.. go FAT32
4) I'd reformat.. just to be safe

Roshambo

personally i wood uz FAT32 cos NTFS cant b read wiv a win 9x boot biscuit. so if ur like me and skrew ur winxp installation rite royally ur skrew'd cos u cant read da NTFS partition!!!!!!!!!!

At least i couldnt figure out howta do it (win 2k boot biscuits dont work wiv XP)

Use your xp install cd

Use your xp install cd to boot off of and you will be able to.

What about if I have a 40g Drive or more?.. I heard that Fat32 is not that great over 32 Gigs.. :(

Exactly

If your drive is over 30 gigs, I would go NTFS for sure ( all mine are large drives, I have a 40,60,80, and 100 gig drive.. NTFS on them all )

K, thx that's what I thought... Another little thingy, How the hell do I remove XP HOME under my nick..lol :p

click on 'user cp' just below the xp-erience banner on the top of this page. then click on edit profile.

go to:

Custom User Text:
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.
You may enter up to 25 characters.
Check the reset box if you wish to use the the default title for your usergroup and post count.

There you go.

Me 2 ..lol

Another question came up .

Let's say i have NTFS on my master Drive and I connect a Slave drive that has Fat32. Can I see my info on my slave drive? and can I copy stuff from it to my Master drive?

Thx

as long as

As long as you are using an operating system that can read NTFS and fat32 to do the copying.. and since you are using XP.. you are in good shape

???

I'am doing what you said but I dont have that section..

This is what I have...

Edit Profile - HellyHans
Email Address:
Confirm Email Address:
Optional Information All information will be viewable by other XP-erience.org Forums members.
Homepage:
ICQ Number:
AOL Instant Messenger Handle:
Yahoo Messenger Handle:
Signature:
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.
HTML code is OFF
vB Code is ON
code is ON
Smilies are ON

Birthdate:
If you select your birthday then other forum members will be able to see your birthday on the forum calendar and in your profile. Adding your year of birth is also optional. Month Day Year
January February March April May June July August September October November December 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Additional Information
Biography:
A few details about yourself
Interests:
Your hobbies, etc
Your job

Thx

1. actually this isn't the right forum to post this question
2. Maybe the option will appear after a certein ammount of posts
3. Mine sits between birthdate and additional info
4. Pose this question in the help-forum.

Greetz

Lukas

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back