Fat32 to NTFS

I

intelligentxp

I am using Windows Xp and i want to change from Fat32 to NTFS i heard you can do that by clicking run in the start menu and typing:convert c: /fs:ntfs.
Is this Safe or is there another way to do this?

Originally posted by intelligentxp
I am using Windows Xp and i want to change from Fat32 to NTFS i heard you can do that by clicking run in the start menu and typing:convert c: /fs:ntfs.
Is this Safe or is there another way to do this?

not for sure of the exact syntax, but that sounds about right. it is safe, but ensure this is what you want to do. once you go to ntfs, you cant go back without completely rebuilding the partitions.

Some people say ntfs is faster, i say it is about the same as fat32. My own opinion is there is no need to go to ntfs unless you are wanting to tighten up the security from different users on your machine.

Tek!

i typed in Convert C: /FS:NTFS and then it asks which volume My drive_C is in. What do i type?

You actually have to open a command prompt to do this. Start>all programs>accessories>then click command prompt. then type Convert C: /FS:NTFS. This is directly from Microsquish.

ok thanks but it still asks for my volume drive. How do i know what my volume drive is?

Is XP on drive C? And are you doing a dual boot or not? It might be asking for the volume cause you have another OS on the drive. Not sure though, Microsquish does not specify that in my search.

yes i have 2 OS on my computer and when i start up my computer i have to choice which OS to use.

So how do i find the volume?

O.K. Here are my thoughts. If you have two OS's on your box theeeen one OS is on one drive or partition and the oooooother one is on another drive or partition. So let's say that you have OS 1 (98SE, Me, 2000 etc...) on drive/partition C: and XP on drive/partition D: Then Probably when you installed XP it might have formatted that drive /partition NTFS unless you told it not to. Or both OS's are on the same drive/partition? You should check in explorer the properties of the drive that XP is on when your running XP. Or check to see if you can see the XP drive under the other OS. This all of course is assuming that they are on different drives/partitions and that the other OS is a Windows OS (98SE, Me [2000 would probably be NTFS]). If they are both on the same drive (douteful) then I don't think you can. I hope this helps and I didn't ramble tooooo much. :D

Ok i finally changed my FAT32 disc into NTFS but now the res light on the computer keeps blinking and the performance is alittle slow cause of that.
Does anyone know why this is happening and how i cant fix this?

are the 2 OS's partitioned on the same HD or do you have separate HD's for each OS?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back