FAT32 Format

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
ello ..

I am not sure if this is the right place to post but sorry if it is not.

I would like to check if there is any hard disk size limitation in using FAT32? As I have not been using FAT32 for a long time, I am unable to recall.

Wat I would like to do is to format my 80GB & 120GB 2.5" Hard Disk using FAT32 file system. However, everytime the format is completed, there is an error message stating "disk size not supported by FAT32".

Hope that someone could help me out on this please. Thank you. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

FAT32 is supported up to 2TB. Disk Management in XP and during XP setup will only allow you to format a partition as FAT32 up to 32GB in size. You can use an old Win98 boot disk and fdisk to format larger drives. Why in the world would you want to use FAT32 though?

There is no real good reason to want to use fat32 on drives that size, I have to aggree

Thanks for the info .. one of the hard disk is used as back-up for my data and also to store movie series. As the home theater system that I am using supports USB direct plug-in, I was thinking to use the hard disk but found out that it only supports FAT32 and not NTFS format. Thats why I am changing it to FAT32 instead of NTFS. :squareeye:squareeye

If you are going to store movies, you shouldn't use FAT32. There is a 2GB file size limitation on FAT32.

incorrect-

If you are going to store movies, you shouldn't use FAT32. There is a 2GB file size limitation on FAT32.

and he did say why he could NOT use NTFS!!

this should help-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

and it might also explain why you are having the problems you are having, such as acquiring the updated "fdisk" DOS app from microsoft. There are also some third party apps in there which might help... :rolleyes:

Why would a hard drive only support FAT?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back