• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FAT32 Format

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
ello ..

I am not sure if this is the right place to post but sorry if it is not.

I would like to check if there is any hard disk size limitation in using FAT32? As I have not been using FAT32 for a long time, I am unable to recall.

Wat I would like to do is to format my 80GB & 120GB 2.5" Hard Disk using FAT32 file system. However, everytime the format is completed, there is an error message stating "disk size not supported by FAT32".

Hope that someone could help me out on this please. Thank you. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
FAT32 is supported up to 2TB. Disk Management in XP and during XP setup will only allow you to format a partition as FAT32 up to 32GB in size. You can use an old Win98 boot disk and fdisk to format larger drives. Why in the world would you want to use FAT32 though?

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Thanks for the info .. one of the hard disk is used as back-up for my data and also to store movie series. As the home theater system that I am using supports USB direct plug-in, I was thinking to use the hard disk but found out that it only supports FAT32 and not NTFS format. Thats why I am changing it to FAT32 instead of NTFS. :squareeye:squareeye

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
If you are going to store movies, you shouldn't use FAT32. There is a 2GB file size limitation on FAT32.

Psyborg

google addict
Political User
incorrect-

If you are going to store movies, you shouldn't use FAT32. There is a 2GB file size limitation on FAT32.
and he did say why he could NOT use NTFS!!

this should help-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

and it might also explain why you are having the problems you are having, such as acquiring the updated "fdisk" DOS app from microsoft. There are also some third party apps in there which might help... :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ernestrojasn