fat 32 to ntfs ?

N

ninja geezer

how can i convert my file system from fat 32 to ntfs easily without formatting my drive?.
i know there is a way beacause i have done it before but i cannot remember how.
thanks.:confused:

From a command prompt (Start> Run... type in 'cmd'):

convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

where drive_letter is C: or D:, etc.

mmmmmmmm tried that it comes up with invalid all the time ?
how exactly should i type it to do c drive ?
thanks.

my article does it in a bit more detail:p

Well my article states it is for XP in the header..:p :p

(Both are very informative) :)

a big thanks to all , its sorted now
cheers.
paul.:happy:

Actually converting Fat32 to NTFS is a bad idea. You end up with the wrong cluster size (512b instead of 4k). Which leads to sluggish performance and a constant need to defragment.

Originally posted by Henyman
my article does it in a bit more detail:p
Don't make me come in here. Now you two sit in the corner and quit "picking" at each other. :mad:

While it's true that a format in ntfs is better than a conversion to ntfs, saying it's a "bad idea" is a bit of a stretch. NTFS still provides advantages in certain areas for those who need them and (especially security) and a conversion will work just fine. Wrong cluster size? Maybe - but maybe not - depends on what's on that partition / disk (file types & sizes). Higher level of fragmentation? Oh, I don't know. But even if that does happen so what? That's what disk optimizers / defraggers are for.

I just think that statement is a bit too general, that's all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back