• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fat 32 to NTFS

omgsoup

OSNN Senior Addict
i have about 9GB left of harddrive space (37GB HD) and my computer came with 98Se, i "upgraded" to me, and now i have xp home. i've heard NTFS is better for stablity. is it recommended that i convert, and where can i find the option to do so?

I

ikester7579

I'd like to know the answer to that one. I have ntfs because I did a clean install. But I have two friends who did upgrades and are using fat 32 and would like to go to ntfs. Hope sombody has an answer.

Got to Start> Run> type in 'cmd'> at the command prompt, type in 'convert X: /fs:ntfs' >>> X being the drive you want to convert and the command string without quotes.

BenQuilter, with only that much free space left I don't know if it will work or not.

Always do a backup of the valuables before doing this type of operation.

J

jp86gt

I did it and had all kinds of trouble running retail games, anyone else run into this trouble? Id say that it wasnt worth it and I did a clean install of xp fat 32 and all works well now including games that I already purchased

Yeah, some folks do experience problems from converting an existing fat32 system partition. The best way is to do a full ntfs format as part of the installation routine. I wouldn't go back to fat32 on a bet. I've been running ntfs on the same installation since mid December and i haven't lost one byte of data due to cross-linked files, lost clusters, etc. I'm very happy with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies