Faster Surfing

P

popeye

hi, i have got modem (56) bps is there any way to incres the speed of the internet by using the same modem thanks :) popeye

YEAH! give it Spinach! LOL
did you try to use Opera for browsing?
it speeds it a little.

Go for opera!
IMHO it's faster than IE (never tried Mozilla for long though) plus there is a feature to turn off images. That can increase your speed immensely on pages where you don't necessarily need to see images.

PS: Opera also has other great features!!!

You can turn off images in IE as well. Internet Options -> Advanced

There you can also turn off sounds and movies on webpages.

Originally posted by catch23
Nothing can actually increase the speed of your connection....you can only use a better browser when surfing... Get Mozilla

http://www.mozilla.org/
1. Dont have any phones sharing the connection
2. Call your phone service provider & ask them to increase the gain on your line.
3. Replace old modem cables

;-)

Yep, but turning off images in IE is more complicated and slower (just not practical). You can do itin Opera by just pushing one button or one click...

Everyone has to find his own favourite browser but how should you find it without knowing the choices?

If you have two hard drives
Rather than turn off images
Move your Temporary Internet Files to the second disk for quicker access

;-)

I've done side by side browsing with every major browser.

some laod faster on start up,

some strart laoding the pages sooner

ie is finnished loading the entire page faster then any other browser when compared on my box

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
If you have two hard drives
Rather than turn off images
Move your Temporary Internet Files to the second disk for quicker access

;-)

Being serious there? if not I didn't get it...

A year ago, i was on dial up. I had a 56K modem, but the phone lines in my area were horrible, so i could only connect at 33.6K. I'd get a MAX download of 3.5kb/s. I would always get booted every 4 hours of connectivity, while doing something important like playing a game, or talking on AIM. I payed $12.95 for the dial up, and I got what I payed for.

So around the time I got my new computer I also got cable. 2 megabit down, 350 bit up. That's a 250 kb/s downloads. I also get an excelent ping in games, usally 20-70 ms depending on the server, how many people are in it, etc. I'm always on, and in the 5 months I have gotten it there have been 2 times when cable went out in my area, so internet went out too. I pay $42 a month, and I get an excelent internet connection.

It's really worth it to get DSL or Cable.

I wouldn't bother with ISDN, it's just a slightly faster 56, you might get a max of 7kb/s downloads

Originally posted by Oerficus

Being serious there? if not I didn't get it...
:D
Yes I'm being serious
The disk that XP is installed to is very busy with read & write requests.
its the same principle as putting the pagefile on a seperate disk
faster seek times
:p

Yes I'm being serious
The disk that XP is installed to is very busy with read & write requests.
its the same principle as putting the pagefile on a seperate disk
faster seek times

Ok, kewl will certainly give it a shot! Let's see how fast the surfing will get...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Oerficus

Ok, kewl will certainly give it a shot! Let's see how fast the surfing will get...:rolleyes:
bear in mind this is a cache you have to visit the website first & cache its contents then the next you visit the site the page will load a lot quicker
don't be eager to delete your Temporary Internet Files

bear in mind this is a cache you have to visit the website first & cache its contents then the next you visit the site the page will load a lot quicker
don't be eager to delete your Temporary Internet Files

Thx for the hint but... I ALREADY KNEW THAT ;)

Btw, what about posting this in the "Favourite Tweak"-Thread?

very good idea...

twoz...I don't have ttwo drives...could you put a value on the differance in loading a site that's in the cache, as compared to the same thing with the cache on the same drive.?

also. if you have broadband, I'm not recomending loading sites from the cache...but this is a 56 k tweak...very cool.

the excellant residual of this tweak is if you have partitions in fat....that being able to defrag this partition everytime you go on the internet

Originally posted by dealer
very good idea...
could you put a value on the difference in loading a site that's in the cache, as compared to the same thing with the cache on the same drive.?
Thanx dealer
The advantage of being on the 2nd disk is the same as the pagefile being on there - less disk activity means faster seek times.

By the way dealer
Regardless of your connection no matter how fast - if the file you need is in the cache it will be pulled from there & not downloaded
therefore this tweak works for every type of connection.

56k dial-up is so unpredictable its either slow or very slow
so its not really possible to bench mark the difference with any accuracy
The difference is BIG though especially on this site
When the cache is cleared every sig - avatar & button has to be downloaded again
When these have been cached & you visit the page again the pics are taken from the cache - just leaving the new text to be downloaded.

A dedicated partition for the Temporary Internet Files wont speed it up BUT it does mean a tidier drive & defragging will be completed in a fraction of the time.

;)

very good as far as the sigs, gifs and buttons...nice.

as far as broadband, what I was talking about is setting the browser to get a new page every visit...that's important if you're not on dial, but if you are on dial, it's important to load from cache.

I didn't realize the sigs and gifs would come from cache regardless...interesting

Originally posted by dealer

as far as broadband, what I was talking about is setting the browser to get a new page every visit ...that's important if you're not on dial, but if you are on dial, it's important to load from cache.
I didn't realize the sigs and gifs would come from cache regardless...interesting
I use that setting all the time dealer
its essential for the forums

when i'm on dialup, I don't ever load a new page, then when I think there might me new content, I either refresh, (f5), or I get a new window, (control n)..this way, I can do some workl while the new window loads, and I refresh the new window, and keep working while the new window loads

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back