Faster boot up

Evil Marge

I Rule
Political Access
My computer is slow to start up...how can i disable some things so that it boots up quicker ? Using XP HOME .:D :p

Url removed for breaching forum guidelines.

Competitive XP Forums – Do not post links to other XP forums. Any links to a competitive forum will be deleted.

Forum Guidelines

Hey I just watched the simpsons marathon (bunch of re-runs) :D

I got 1 min. from hitting the restart button back to usable desktop. 33 sec. from hitting power button to usable desktop. 5 sec. less if unplug my camera, but I used more than just bootvis to get it. Used to make seven to eight passes of the line on the boot screen. Now it's 1 without Cam and 2 to 3 with Cam plugged in. The following is how I got mine------------------------------------Use BootVis optimization tool to optimize computer boot speed. Reboot and see if boot has improved. Go to prefetch and either delete all files or delete NTOBOOT file. Go to regedit.
(prefetch will start prefetching fresh copies on reboot)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/current controlset/Control/SessionManager/Memory Management/PrefetchParameters

Click on EnablePrefetcher and change the value from (3) to (1). Now close regedit and reboot.

This will still allow prefetching, but not the NTOBOOT file which is apparently XP's own boot trace prefetch file. This seems to allow holding of the BOOTVIS Optimization without trying to overide it with XP's boot tracing and optimization.

This fix is experimental, but has worked great for me. I noticed when you would use BootVis you would get one fast reboot then it would slow down. After using the above it holds the fast boot
always.( WARNING: This may not be reversible except by system restore. Make sure you create a good restore point if you don't want to chance it.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back