fast user switching WITHOUT welcom login screen

P

philco

I use the windows classic login, but i still want to be able to use the fast user switching feature.

I know micorsoft says you MUST have the welcome screen enabled, but i dont see why, and i HATE it.

I have tried manually starting the fast user switching service, but it does work by itself.

If i enable the login screen and fast user switching, instally the users tab is under the task manger. If i disbale them, the user tab dissaperas. all WITHOUT restarting or logging in or out!

So there must be a way!!! a tweak? a hack?

I know of one person who has this set, but is unable to expalin how he got it :(

If u know how to do this, please let me know! or if u got any suggestions, tips or ideas...

It is possible, and i have worked it out!

Although i guess this is what you call SLOW user switching.

To enable user switching, first go into the registry and change the following.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"AllowMultipleTSSessions"=dword:00000001
"KeepRasConnections"="1"

AllowMulti.. will allow u to login more than once, and give u the users tab.
KeepRasCon.. should keep your dial-up connected all the time.

NB: a restart may be required, but maybe not :)

Now you should have the users tab in the task manager. To switch to a another user, click the DISCONNECT button, and u will be returned to the classic login screen, now just log in as another user. U can now switch users again under the task manger or u can just log off. U will then need to log back in as the original user to log them off if u wish.

This makes windows much more flexible, and M$ should have made it that way to start with. That welcome screen pisses me off big time!

Have fun, and let me know u find anythign else cool about it!

Thanks!

I can't wait to try it out...right now I am on a machine running windows95 and using a dialup connection:(

I am going to try it once I get back home.

~Dan

Now why couldn't I have discovered this when my machine had multiple users? :D Now, it's just me...so, it's not that useful unless I have to switch to Administrator INSTANTLY! LOL

Thanks...I'll remember it if I ever need it again. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back