fast user switching error

81135615A

OSNN Captain
hey all

just an issue regarding fast user switching... everytime there are multiple users logged on into the system and one of us logs off, the system will go through the normal log off process, then what happens is that a black screen (that should appear for only a few seconds) appears and stays there - ie the welcome logon screen never appears.

this means that nobody else can log on, and any existing users would lose their work, cos i need to restart the pc.

is there a way to fix this?

cheers

If you can't boot into XP at all then it looks as though you will have to do a recovery from your XP CD. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so. Usually just hitting a key on keyboard when prompted to boot from CD. Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation. Such as:

FIXBOOT (writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition)
FIXMBR (Repairs the master boot record of the boot disk)
BOOTCFG /REBUILD (Enables a user to rebuild, view, and otherwise make changes to the boot.ini file)

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. Reboot and it should bring you back to a boot screen.

I dont think its a boot problem, from what I understand this only happens when a user logs off. It doesnt return to the welcome or login screen.

81135615A you said it happens when multiple users are logged in, so I assume all is fine if there is only one user using the comp.

yes that is correct Admiral Michael. The booting into the OS is fine, and when a single user does log off it is ok. It only occurs when there are multiple users logged on and one of us logs off does this occur...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back