Far Cry: Serious Installation Error: Your help is greatly wanted.

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I have recently purchased Far Cry for PC. I attempt to install it and get to the final cd . When it finishes it gives me this error message.

"The wizard was interrupted before Far Cry could be completely installed. The system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time , run the installation again."

I am curious why I am getting this error? All my other games install ok to my computer. I have scan my HD , turned off my Norton Anti Virus, and Firewall to. It always happens after the install finishes on the final CD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have SP 2 installed along with some minor changes to my service files. Im curious if maybe this could be the cause to any something I should look for that might be triggering.

My specs are
WINDOWS XP PRO SP 2
P4 3.0 GHZ
1 GB DDR 400 kingston Hyper X memory
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Radeon 9800 pro 256 mb
WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 10,000 RPM 36 GB ( C DRIVE)
WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 10,000 RPM 36 GB ( F DRIVE)
TDK 48x burner ( CD DRIVE LETTER = D)
PLEXTOR 2X DVD-R ( DVD DRIVE LETTER = E )

I would'nt touch SP2 with a barge-poll...it's a beta...best used in a testing/reviewing enviroment only...I'm not saying it's the source of your problem but it seems your problems only started after you installed SP2. Can you system restore to an earlier point?...or check the FarCry on another machine in case it's just a faulty disk you have?
...Colin.

:eek: p.s.- "We've got quite a bit of work to do before its end-user ready," Matt Pilla, senior product manager for the Windows group.

I have also had a few issues installing a few applications while I have had SP2 installed
Namely norton products.

That sucks man. Was there a reason you guys installed a beta of SP2?

Well no clue but I wanted to try out SP2. It only gives me problems with far cry. Im going to see if I can attach a screen shot of the error and you guys can read it. Im thinking maybe I have a program open I dont see that I need to have closed.

What bugs me about the SP2 firewall is I cant turn it off....

Im praying I can solve this problem.

And no sorry I dont have a restore point .

Below is a attachment of the error.

Attachments

• FAR CRY ERROR.JPG
    FAR CRY ERROR.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 275
The beta service pack forces you to keep the ability to uninstall itself.

I just thought I would share what customer service just told me. Curious if anyone got comments I plan to try this later tonight.

Response (Jesse)04/26/2004 02:18 PM Mathew,

First, you should make sure that you have the latest firmware and drivers available for your CD-ROM drive. This can be done by visiting the CD-ROM manufacturers website.

Then, clear out your C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory (this is a storage area where files are stored before they are installed). Delete everything in this file, and your problem may be solved completely.

If this does not work, you may also need to clear out your internet cache by deleting the files in your C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files directory. Every web site you have ever visited is stored here, so you do not need this information. We advise that you sort by type and leave the cookies stored here (these are small files which allow other servers you might visit in your web surfing to recognize you if you've visited before).

- Empty your recycle bin.

- Run Scandisk and Defrag your hard drive.

Before attempting to install the game, make sure that you have no programs running in the background or system tray.

- To do this in XP:
Go to the Start menu, and choose Run. Delete anything on the Open line that you'll find there, and type in the work MSCONFIG. Click on OK, and that will bring up a program called the System Configuration Utility.

Look down the list of startup items (not the tab labeled Startup), and choose Selective Startup (if it is not already selected). If you don't see this, make sure you've clicked on General, near the top of the window. Once you've chosen Selective Startup, uncheck 'Load Startup Items', and leave 'Process System.INI file' and 'Process Win.INI file' checked. Once you're done here, click OK, and let it reboot your computer.

Your Windows environment may look different and you may get an error relating to your sound device not working (ignore this for now). Try running the game again. If the game loads and seems to be working, the problem is most likely related to one or more programs you have scheduled to load with Windows. You can then revert the settings back the way they were, and in a trial and error fashion, disable some programs using the startup tab (in the msconfig utility) to try to find the culprit.

- To do this in Windows 98/ME:
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the close program window. End all open tasks EXCEPT Explorer and systray.

If you still have problems installing, you may not have the necessary hard disk space to install the game. You will need to clean out unnecessary files on your hard drive or otherwise allocate more space if you wish to install and play.

If all else fails, try a safemode install.
1. Copy the contents of the disc to a new folder on your desktop.
2. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
3. Run setup.exe from the setup folder in the new folder you created on your desktop.
4. Restart the computer in normal mode and try the game.

I also noticed in the instruction booklet it says far cry might not work on some cd and hard drives because of some copy protection anyway to find out if my TDK 48x burner is why it aint installing?

My CD drive is actually a TDK CD-R 48x burner and my other is a Pioneer DVD-R 2x burner . My Hds are western digital raptors.

Anyone know where I can find a list on this?

Thanks , i turned off all my services , and start up items and the install still errored saying the wizard was interrupted.

The second I decided to uninstall windows xp sp2 and ran the install again it worked. I guess SP2 beta was the cause of my problems.

Thanks everyone for the help.

brodyhooperquint: Nope there 5 cds, I wish they were on a DVD instead though. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back