fans covered with dust

Originally posted by Zedric
Does any sound likely? :)
hm... possibly. not sure.

either way, i'll still be dragging my case into the garage to blow it out with the air compressor, just like ntentz. :)

I think that the plastic used in long vacuum cleaner hoses is more susceptable (sp?) to static than the small spray nozzle on a metal spray can. The whole metal can will be grounded by touching a small part of it. The plastic will hold the charge.

Also, the nozzle of the vacuum is almost, or touching the components, the can isnt, even with a plastic extension.

James

Originally posted by Zedric
On a vacuum cleaner it "rubs" all down the hose (no naughty thoughts!) building up the static on the way.

Just hope Zedric, that you haven't started something like what Sazar started in the "Half Life girl" thread in the Games forum. LOL :p

WEll I am a smoker also and that is why I mentioned the Rubbing alchohol, it seems to help prevent the buildup on the fan blade edges (you know what I am talking about). As far as the vacuum deal, the reason for the static problem is acutally the motor. It is just an electromagnet, and it generates a very large electrical field and charges all the plastic parts. If those plastic parts makes contact with the electronics on your mobo or anything else it will act as a ground, sparks, kiss your part goodbye. While the dust particles rubbing will cause a charge, really they just propigate the problem by holding the charge and preventing it from dissapating. They work like mini capacitors. By themselfs they are nothing, but together you can get some real voltage. Think of lighting, same principal. Tens of millions of highly charged particles all going to ground at the same time = destruction!

I vacuum my computer b4, it cleaned most of the dust on my computer. 50% of the dust is off my fan now=)

I like the canned air approach as compressed air in a compressor sometimes builds up condensate,and we all know unseen water on a mobo is a bad deal.Call me crazy but i use filters on the intake fans and never ever see dust on my heatsink,yes i also smoke u should see my monitor ewww!!!.
I also have coated all my fans with a very slick silicon coating and it takes much longer for the dust to build up i got the stuff at work because i work at a corrugator plant where dust is rampant they use it all the time on the cabinet fans where the computers are at and it seems to work well.

I don't worry much about condensation on the mobo because I have coated it with a silcon-based conformal coating thereby rendering it virtually water-proof.:D

Originally posted by SnookBooger
I got one of them Ionic Breezes and now no dust whats so ever!:cool:
i've always wanted one of those. any problems with it?

my ex and i got an expensive litter box with a lid that had a mini built-in version of it... and it seemed to work pretty well. what's your overall impression?

:D

there's some really good ideas coming out now

these Ionic Breezes sound really good ~ a little expensive though

suppose any kind of air purifier would be beneficial

:cool:

They work perfectly although, a bit expensive. My opinion is they are worth the money. I have not sneezed in over three months!:)

easy to clean, just like the commercial?

haha... now i just got the brilliant idea of implimenting a small version of one of these into the front of a computer case! :cool:

if you can't afford a big one to clean the entire room/house, i mean. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back